New Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes first letter of a word is left off. (2002 (XP))

I don't know why but often, at least once with every letter or report, the first letter of a word will be left off. Like "the" will look like "he." After will look like fter. I was told it could be caused by an add-in. I checked Tools and Templates and Add-Ins and there were no Add-ins there. However, I did see an Add-In in Control Panel, which was Microsoft Works Add-in for Word. I uninstalled that. Also in System Information I found Palm listed as an add-in so I transferred all my contacts, etc. into Outlook and uninstalled Palm Pilot software. Now when I check System Information, under Summary there are no Add-Ins. Under COM-Add-ins, there's 3 and it only says Google Desktop Office Addin but my laptop has Google Desktop and it's not doing this in Word, although that's Word 2003.

I'm using Windows XP Pro and Word 2002 (XP). My laptop has Windows XP Pro and Word 2003 and doesn't do it. I never had Office Works installed on the laptop though. It did have the Palm software installed at one time.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this? Is it just a problem with Word 2002?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Toejam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sometimes first letter of a word is left off. (2002 (XP))

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Does this always happen to a word at the left margin of the document, or does it also happen to words in the middle of a line?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome and thank you for replying to my post. I appreciate being here.

This happens anywhere in the document I believe. It's defintely not only at the left margin.

Thanks again,

Toejam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does it happen in the printed output?
    If so. does it happen in Print Preview?
    And does it happen in Normal view?
    And in Print Layout view?

Sorry about all the questions, but this is a weird problem.

Thanks

Re: Sometimes first letter of a word is left off.

Does the same document prints just fine on other PCs? If so, that rules out most everything tricky you could do to the document in Word and suggests problems with fonts or printer drivers.

One other thought: could the initial letter have been typed as part of a tracked change (e.g., deleting an initial clause)? You can treat tracked changes differently for purposes of screen display and printing.

New Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

In answer to your questions:

Yes it prints without the first letter if that happens on the screen and yes you can see it in print preview.
    Yes, it happens in normal view.
    No, it doesn't seem to happen in Print Layout View when I'm typing. I didn't realize it until you asked these questions and I tried it, but if I'm typing in Print view I haven't had it happen since typing in print view for a couple of days. It only seems to happen when I type in normal view. I'm typing mostly with justified margins, if that makes any difference. I guess I could just always type in print view.

Thanks for asking these questions,

Diane

New Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000,

Yes, it prints the same on other PCs.
    No, it's not typed as part of a tracked change.
    Thanks for asking. As I mentioned in a prevous post, I recently realized it doesn't happen when I type in print layout, only I normal view. I guess since I'm not normal I can't type in normal view. It's a conspiracy! LOL. (just kidding).

Diane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad you foud a workaround, but it's still a weird problem, especially that the characters aren't printed either if you're working in Normal view.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I found the problem. I have a keyboard with USB and a P2 connectors and I had them both plugged into the computer. I unplugged the p2 connection and now it's not doing it at all anymore, even in normal view. I suppose if I would have unplugged the USB and left in the P2 it would have served the same purpose.

Just wanted to let you know in case anyone else ever has the same problem.

Diane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing the solution - it might well be useful to someone else in the future.