New Lounger
    Thanks

Numbering of captions (Win2002)

I work with a document where I don't use the built in header styles but rather some locally defined styles, My local heading 1, 2, 3 and so on. My local heading 1's outline level, as defined in Styles -> Paragraph -> Outline Level is set to 1. Also when I look in Styles -> Numbering - > Customize... - > Outline Numbered -> Number format section -> Level it is set to 1.

However, when I create a table immediately after a My local heading 1, that's numbered 10, the caption's number is 1.1.

In Insert -> Reference... -> Caption... -> Numbering... "Include chapter number" is checked but the "Chapter starts with style" pop-up menu just allows my to select the built in heading styles (Heading 1, 2, 3 and so on), not My local heading 1. I guess this is what causes the erroneous number of the caption, however, I have no idea how to change this. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Numbering of captions (Win2002)

I have not had good luck creating my own outline levels, but perhaps others can troubleshoot with you.

Can you post a stripped down version of a document containing all the styles and at least one misbehaving caption? Remove anything confidential. If the document is over 100KB, you will need to ZIP it before posting.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Numbering of captions (Win2002)

I personally think you are making a rod for your own back by shunning the built-in heading styles however you can do what you require if you want to edit the field codes of the caption you describe in paragraph three of your post.

Select the caption and press Shift-F9
    Change the first field {STYLEREF 1 s} to {STYLEREF "My Local Heading 1" s}

Although you haven't asked for it yet, the next trick is to get the second field to restart at 1 each time you start a new chapter. You do this by adding a r1 switch to that field.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia