Star Lounger
    Thanks

mailmerge from word to Access (word 2002 sp3)

I know you can do a mailmerge from Access to Word, but can you do a mailmerge from Word to Access. I have a form in Word that my internal customers fills out. I need to get the information from that form into an Access DB table. How would this be best accomplished.

thanks

Thanks

Re: mailmerge from word to Access (word 2002 sp3)

You can use VBA in an Access module to read a Word form -- Word must be installed on the same machine. Or you could use VBA in a Word template to insert/update data in your MDB file -- ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) libraries need to be installed on the same machine. Since you have multiple documents, it probably is best to work from Access.

Now, to read a Word document you of course need to know its structure and how to access the data. Is it a Word form with FormFields, or is it more free-form? Actually, another possibility might be to save the form data out of the Word document as a CSV file. I've seen that option somewhere, but never tried it myself. Then your Access procedure could read in the data from that file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jefferson,

The form has FormFields. I will try saving this as a CSV file and see what happens. If this doesn't work, can you lead me to some documentation on how to read a Word Form through Access?

warm regards,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This website provides a wealth of sample code to help in transferring info between the various office packages. Adapting something from here will get you going.
    Helen Feddema's Code Samples
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia