Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot error (XP SP2)

When I punt on my computer the following error appears: Dell's Disk monitoring system has detected that drive O on the primary EIDE controller is operatingouside of normal specifications. It is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive by calling your support desk or Dell cumputer corporation.

I did a search in dell uk and it look like i have to buy a new hard drive. I could remove the harddrive and connect it to another computer and hopefully I will be able to get the data, any other suggestions much appreciated.

skips

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boot error (XP SP2)

Usually this error message means, you still can use your hard drive, but you need to replace it as soon as possible. Look for a new hard drive with data transfer software or buy such program separately, connect both hard drives to your computer (data software program includes step-by-step instructions) and transfer your Windows installation.

I would recommend to perform the drive check immediately: open Command Prompt window (click Start > Run. type CMD and hit Enter), in Command Prompt type the following command:

chkdsk o: /f

(Check disk O:, fix any problems), or

chkdsk o: /r

(Check disk O:, repair it) - it includes all steps from /f switch and performs two more steps, but requires longer time.

By the way, are you sure the error message mentions drive O ? If it is drive C, performing check disk requires to restart your computer. After entering command
    chkdsk c: /r
    confirm your choice on pop-up window and restart your computer.