Thread: Drivers

New Lounger
    Thanks

Drivers

Hello everyone,

My main question is how do you know when you need the latest driver? I noticed that my graphics card version is 83.40. The nVidia website says their
    latest version for a GeForce Card is 93.71. I do not seem to notice any problems with my monitor. Do you update just because the version
    number is higher? How does one know?

Thanks,

TMJ

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drivers

Hi there

It can become part of your Windows Updates routine. If you go to Windows Update, you may also be offered Recommended and Driver Updates.

It is then up to you if you want to accept them. Alternatively it may be a manual process of going to the manufacturer's website and checking.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen many PCs broken by unnecessary driver updates, and it can be tricky to recover. So my advice would be to avoid driver updates unless:
    <UL><LI>They fix a specific issue that you have experienced
    <LI>You have a backup of your hard drive that you are confident you can restore[/list]StuartR

Thanks

I can't think of any time that I have seen an Nvidia driver update on Microsoft Updates but I could be wrong. Regardless I make it a routine to check for driver updates at least every other month. Check the version number of your video card software against what is on Nvidia's web site and download and install the latest. Please read their installation instructions carefully.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Good question. The device manufacturers' web sites are probably the best place to search for updated drivers. That being said, often your computer manufacturer (Dell or HP, etc.) will have updated drivers that are specific to your particular hardware configuration. I don't usually accept any Microsoft drivers (from Windows Update). While these will work in the majority of instances, they are pretty generic and don't offer many of the "bells & whistles" of the OEM drivers.

How do you know if you need the latest drivers? In most cases, you don't need them - unless of course you are upgrading to a new OS (eg. XP to Vista) or you are experiencing problems with your hardware. You mentioned the nVidia drivers as an example. Normally, these drivers are updated to address issues with, or support for, the latest games. If you don't require this kind of support and everything else is working to your satisfaction, new drivers are not normally required. New drivers for sound cards can also address problems or provide some additional enhancements.

Bottom line? It's really up to you and your particular requirements. Look at the "what's new" summary for the drivers, and if you feel that you need or want them, then install them. If not, then there's not really any need to fix something that isn't broken.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions