Thread: DVI - HDMI

New Lounger
    Thanks

DVI - HDMI

HI all, With a new computer coming in this week if I can abstain from making any more configuration changes, I've been looking into the matter of Digital Rights Management. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7950 which is HDCP compliant, and as far as I know the Computer is also, so I hope that I can that if there is a DRM signal it will get to the video card without having to interact with any kind of reproduction, it can get through the Video Card pretty much like it went in without having to actually recognise any foreign coded device and will then be allowed to verify the identity of the monitor and presto, High Definition. Everything that I've read on the subject say that it is necessary to use either a DVI cable or a hdmi? cable and the the latter one is later technology and a better choice. My Video card, though, has two DVI connectors. Are there adaptors that will make a DVI>hdmi change at he source, or would that mess things up because the continuity is broken even though a very short time. AT the Monitor too there is another DVI female receptacle. Is this something to be concerned with? I got the NIVDIA GeForce 7950GT with 512 mb memory, because the new 8800 is terribly expensive just yet and I didn't know that it would run Direct X 10. whereas older ones wouldn't. I really don't do enough gaming for ti to matter, After that digression, will the DRM allow recording of media, say rented movies, to the hard drive. The only thing that anything that was recorded on would be played the same 24" monitor as the first time; I'm hoping that this will be possible without having the signal degraded? I guess that's all for now, and an early thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVI - HDMI

Welcome to the Lounge!

Unfortunately, you understand the purpose of DRM wrong. The main (and only) purpose of DRM is to PREVENT you from copying digital media, say, rented movies, to your hard drive. See Digital Rights Management from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

About DVI and HDMI. They are two different interfaces to provide visual data. For the user's point of view, HDMI also provides audio data, when DVI is not. That's why you don't see HDMI connector on the video card. You can use DVI-to-HDMI cables as well as DVI-to-DVI cables. Just remember, you have to provide audio with a separate cable. See A Short Guide to DVI Cables and DVI Connectors for more information.

About High Definition. You can not get high definition picture from a regular commercial DVD. For High Definition, you have to have either Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD as well as special hardware for it. These formats ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with each other! See Blu-ray vs. HD DVD: What You Need to Know

About recording commercial movies: as I mentioned before, it is often prohibited by law. See DVD label for more information.

About recording HDTV streams: you have to have different card to do so (your NVIDIA GeForce 7950 does not have a TV tuner), you can record the video to your hard drive using third-party programs. Native Windows Media Player does not have such capabilities. All video recording programs allow you to choose between different levels of picture quality. The rule of thumb: better quality = more space on the hard drive.

Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kaplinb, Thanks for the answer even though was sort of discouraging. Just out of interest, are there any video cards that will let DRM material through? Or are the only ways to watch something in HD the Blu-Ray or HD DVD? Or do they have things locked up? Will non coded discs still work. I will be getting a TV Tuner with the system and am sort of waiting for the release of the ATI TV Wonder Digital Tuner. Will that one display in HD if it on a transmission from a digital source? Is it in any way possible to watch non DRM coded HD DVDs (old ones) with computer equipment? Right now what with having to pay for the new computer for the next several months it won't be feasible to get either of the new pieces of hardware, and, too, they are outrageously expensive. With what you've said is there any good reason that all components ahve to have an HDCP certification. Where is the advantage in that? As to the cable situation, If I use the audio output from the computer and amplified speakers, there's really no great advantage to the HDMI is there? Sorry about all the questions, but you sounded well grounded in the information so I figurred it might be worth a try. And again THANKS!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! So many questions...

First of all, I do not clearly understand, which equipment do you have and what do you want to achieve. Do you have "regular" HDTV (CRT, LCD, Plasma or DLP) ? Or you want your 24" monitor work as HDTV ? Is HDTV broadcasting available "over the air" in your area or you need cable or satellite service to get HDTV programs ?

Second, do you want to record HD streams? If you do, you definitely need HDTV tuner card as ATI TV Wonder Digital Tuner or Hauppauge WinTV-HD. If you don't, and your monitor has DVI connector, you can use it as HDTV - simply connect DVI connector on your cable or satellite box to your monitor.

By the way, you can watch HD pictures right now - download samples from WMV HD Content Showcase. Read more about it in http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...eo/HDVideo.aspx

I also do not understand what do you mean by "non DRM coded HD DVDs (old ones)" - which format it is? Do you have one? Who made it?

And yes, you need a special drive to watch BlueRay disks on your computer and another one to watch HD DVD (or one double format, more expensive). Do not rush to buy any of it! As you know, the battle just started and you would stuck with very expensive obsolete equipment...

I also do not understand, why the kind of cable connecting your computer to the monitor bothers you? Does it matter is it HDMI, DVI, RCA, etc? If the quality of picture is the same?

Enjoy the pictures: Download High-Definition Movies