4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Batch copy query (Vista Home Premium)

I have a small home network, with 3 pc's and a laptop. All the PC's now run Vista Home Premium, The laptop is XP2 SP2.

One out of the 4 machines is used by my daughter, the other 3 are used by me and I try to keep them in some kind of sync, but under my own control.

I use batch files to back up data, settings etc, and also to do regular defrags, cleanup, adware scans etc.

I'm having problems getting my Windows Favorites to copy though.

This line copies OK from my main machine to my XP laptop
    xcopy c:UsersColinFavoritesLinks*.* "McApp03CDocuments and settingsColinFavoritesLinksTemp*.*" /s

But this one
    xcopy c:UsersColinFavoritesLinks*.* "McApp10CUsersColinFavoritesLinks*.*" /s
    from one Vista Premium machine to another, gives me and "Invalid drive specification" message.

As a test, I tried this line
    xcopy c:UsersColinFavoritesLinks*.* "McApp10DTempLinks*.*" /s
    this was to test another drive (not the system one) on the second PC, and it works fine.

I have to say I don't fully understand the sharing on the new Vista yet, but I think it is set up OK. At the moment, both PC's are running Windows Firewall, and both have Automatic downloads set up and running correctly, so all latest patches should be installed.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Colin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Batch copy query (Vista Home Premium)

The cause of the problem you experienced is elvated security level in comparison with Windows XP. Administrator account has two levels of security, and you have to take additional steps to get full Administrator rights.

Practical solution:

Click Start, type CMD in Search box and press Ctrl, Shift and Enter keys on your keyboard simultaneously, then press Alt - C to confirm your chioce. Command Prompt window with full Administrator rights will open. From this prompt, you can run your commands (xcopy, for instance) the same way as from Administrator account on Windows XP machine.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi thanks for the feedback.

That didn't work however. I got the same error as before.

Colin

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If you do run the (highest) Administrator level, as was recommended, the first thing you should do is apply a strong password to it offline, because it has no password by default. Bad people can do dreadful things to your computer if you leave the highest level of control wide open without even a password.