Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Automatic Update (Windows XP sp2)

I took Woody's advice and changed my update selection from automatic downloads to notify me of any new updates. The problem I am encountering is that every so often, this selection gets changed without my knowledge to automatic downloads, by the system. I don't understand why. The latest April updates were installed automatically, because the selection was changed without me changing it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Microsoft Automatic Update (Windows XP sp2)

Are you the only user? Could anyone else have changed it? Is this a home or work PC?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are running Spybot Serach and Destroy, it will flag that setting as a security risk. Then selecting "fix all problems" resets it back to the recommended setting.

Just a thought

Lounger
    Thanks

This is a laptop for which I am the only user.

Lounger
    Thanks

Only Norton Anti-virus program and Norton Protection Center. By the way you gave me a lead. I checked Norton Protection Center and it was telling me that one item was affecting my security status. I told it to fix it and it did. Them I checked my Microsoft Automatic Update and it had been changed. Apparently, Norton Protection Center is programmed to maintain the Microsoft Updates at automatic level. Thank You for the lead.
    Mike

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mike,
    I have NIS 2007 which includes the NPC. I also have windows auto update set to advise me rather than auto update, and have no problems with NPC flagging up a problem. What you might like to try is to click on the 'options' tab at the top of the NPC page and then select the 'advanced' option. Under the heading 'Windows alert Settings' untick the 'show Windows Auto Update alerts' . Seems to work for me. Let me know if it stops the problem.
    Keith

Lounger
    Thanks

I have the 2006 version of NAV that includes the NPC--I was originally able to stop it from changing the Microsoft Update setting back to automatic by unselecting that one item for repair--although it continues to display that one item as needing repair. As long as it doesn't change the setting on its own, I can live with it. When I did what you suggested, NAV and NPC go into red alert, and the item is still displayed as needing repair. For now I'll just try to unselect the item for repair and see if it holds the setting without trying to repair it on its own.
    Thanks for the tip
    Mike