Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

False Attachments (OE 6)

Some received messsages in the inbox show an attachment, but upon opening the message there is no attachment! Any suggestions as to what would cause this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: False Attachments (OE 6)

Isn't this the same question as <post:=642,909>post 642,909</post:>?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You're right Hans. I had asked about this before, but it took some time before I could get to the local senior center to test it out (I use Outlook, not OE at home).

Anyway, I ran several tests among the several computers there and they seem to flag every message as having an attachment. There are no embedded signatures or pictures, stationery and/or backgrounds are turned off -- nothing I can detect that would indicate an attachment, but they still are flagged as having one! Actually, having an attachment indication is not some sort of fatal error, but we teach seniors how to use OE, and it becomes somewhat confusiing for them when they can't find the "attachment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OE by default blocks some attachments. There are some options related to this in the Security tab of Tools | Options: "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" and "Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail." In general, it is best to leave these options ON, but it means you won't be able to see some attachments.