4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Design Master? Replicas? (97)

Hi, we have a database here at work which has crashed, I am not sure of best route of action.

This is briefly what has happened.

1. database corrupted - cause unknown
    2. repaired database using MS Access option as only othe option to restore backup from last night and hence lose todays work.
    3. error #: 3485 : the object can't be replicated because the database is not replicated. Not sure how to fix this but when opening the database an option on tools is to create replica.
    (I think this error is a caught one coded by the database's designer - no longer available for help with support.)
    4. tried to make main db replicatable by choosing Tools - Create Replica.)
    5. when this happens I get the following message from Access:
    'Microsoft Access can't convert the database to a Design Master. Cannot make the Action Alert Details object in Tables container replicable.'

I am not really familiar with the concepts of design master and replica database in this situation. I know the main database is accessed via the mde file, and this main database is synched with an archive db every time the database is closed. Not sure whi the db got corrupted, but obviously the repair procedure has removed the design master - replica realtionship.

Any thoughts appreciated, otherwise will just resotre from last nights backup and hopefully all will be well. I would like to understand what is going on and how if possible to rectify this situation without losing the data - the data is still there when the repaired db is opened., it just no longer functions correctly regards the synching, replication etc.

many thanks
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Design Master? Replicas? (97)

For some background and useful links, see WendellB's tutorial To replicate, or not to replicate, that is the question!

Your best bet might be to restore yesterday's backup, then run some queries to apply today's changes from the repaired database.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Design Master? Replicas? (97)

Thanks for the tip - looking through WendellB's site gave me the background which was helpful. I then found this link on Microsoft's site which was helpful as it gave instructions for repairing / recovering a corrupt Design Master from a replica database.
    I have done this and all is working now - with all data input from yesterday being confirmed as there!
    Thanks,

pmatz