3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express for Mac

Hi. Does anyone have any idea where I can go to download Outlook Express 5.2 for the Mac OS9.x? I have in-laws with an old mac who aren't willing to upgrade computers or operating systems.

They are currently having trouble receiving email due to spam filtering with their ISP and were told to upgrade to OE 5.2. I've looked all over and can't find where to download it anymore, though I have seen reference made to this version of the software, so it evidently does exist somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Brett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Express for Mac

As far as I know, OE 5.2 was distributed only as part of Internet Explorer for the Mac. This product has been discontinued and is no longer available for download. The only version of OE currently available is Outlook Express 5.0.6 for Mac OS 8.1 to 9.x.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. Version 5.0.6 is the version they're currently using. Evidently, there's some sort of encoding or something that this version isn't capable of that 5.2 was. I can't remember exactly what it is, but it prevents them from being able to send mail. They're only able to receive.

I've only found a couple of references to OE 5.2, the best of which was at http://lowendmac.com/misc/07/0402.html However, I haven't found any working links to download OE 5.2, whether it be alone or packaged with IE. As you've pointed out, it's been discontinued and appears to have been wiped from existence. It seems odd they've kept the older version of OE available. Must be because it works with 8.x and 9.x...

Perhaps this will be my opportunity to get them to upgrade computers...I don't do so well at supporting Macs anymore as I haven't owned or used one regularly since about 1998.

Thanks for the reply.

-Brett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I found that article too. I fear that although it states that it's for 2007, it hasn't been kept up-to-date correctly since the original version in 2003. Microsoft removed the download that included OE 5.2 at the end of January, 2006, more than a year ago now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've found a Google Group posting that states IE 5.2 was for OS X, and 5.1.7 was as high as OS 9.x went. The post has a link to download version 5.1.7, so I'm going to give that a try next time I'm at my in-laws house. Since I don't recall what version of IE they're on, it's possible that this is the upgrade they need.

Thanks for your help,

Brett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the update. I hope it works out.