2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Syncing PDA with Mobile Device Center (Home Premium)

I am having trouble establishing a sync relationship, in Vista's Mobile Device Center/Sync Center, for my Dell Axim X30 which runs Windows Mobile 2003 SE. I have been able to synchronize some files until recently when, all of a sudden, my sync password was not recognized. After several unsuccessful attempts to connect and sync the PDA I deleted the relationship figuring the old one had somehow become corrupted. When I tried to start up a new sync relationship my PDA does not show up as being recognized by the computer.

I'd like to learn how to get Vista to recognize my PDA and to establish the sync relationship. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a new DELL XPS with a 1.86 GHz Core duo processor and 2 GB RAM.

Can anyone help?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Syncing PDA with Mobile Device Center (Home Premium)

Have you gone through the troubleshooting steps at Windows Vista Help: Troubleshoot sync problems? Did you install this driver version - Download details: Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center Driver for Windows Vista (32-bit)?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I had not checked the Help resource so thank you for the link to it. However, after reading the applicable Help sections I still came up empty as far as a solution. Per the instructions I checked for my device using the Device Manager and, lo & behold, it is there with no conflicts listed for it.

You also asked if I had downloaded the driver necessary for syncing and, after checking my files, I had.

It is really odd because when I place my Axim in its USB cradle, or turn it on while it is in the cradle, the Axim goes through its connecting routine and shows that the user has been authenticated (on the Axim screen) but nothing happens on the PC. Sometimes I'll be prompted by the PC for my password but, when I enter the password I get a message that it is not the correct password (the reason I just recently deleted the relationship, thinking it had been corrupted or somehow compromised, intending to start it over.

Since the Axim is listed in Device Manager but not in the Sync Center the problem seems to be how to get the sync relationship to show up in Sync Center. I'm off to TRY to find that out via the Help files. If you know how I may do so I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks again for responding to my post.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I don't know if any of the links at vista mobile device center troubleshooting - Google Search will be helpful but several look promising.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you checked you firewall, as these will block a PDA and needs to be given permissions to access the computer?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA,

Thanks for responding.

I am not running a firewall at the moment since ZoneAlarm just recently announced their Vista ready product is either out or due to be out soon. However, since all has been running just fine with my router and Windows Defender in place, the PDA problem not withstanding, I'm thinking about not using ZoneAlarm anymore. Could the router and/or Windows Defender/firewall be causing the problem???

Also, I checked the Device Manager and, after starting my PDA in its sync cradle, it was listed in the Device Manager as working properly and its driver (ceutil.dll) was up to date. However, the device does NOT show up in Windows Explorer with all the other drives. I also checked In Defender exceptions and saw that the "Wireless Mobile Devices" box was NOT checked. Windows Help definition for "Wireless Mobile Devices" included Pocket PCs. Any chance that could be causing the problem?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,

Usually, if Windows Defender blocks something, you will get a popup notifying you of the action taken. The router should not be part of the equation since you are dealing with INTRAnet and not INTERnet access. What I would check, however, is Windows Firewall settings. Thanks to Joe providing the location of where you can configure both incoming and outgoing access, you can find it here:

<hr>Go to "Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" to configure outbound (incoming) access.<hr>
    You can look through the list of items allowed (checked) or disallowed (unchecked) in both incoming and outgoing to see if the item in question appears there and take the appropriate action if it isn't allowed.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found the solution folks!!!!! On a whim I reinstalled the driver for the PDA and voila!, it is back up and syncing. I'm back to my old problem of getting Access files to import to the PDA for use with a third party product. However, I recently received an e-mail from that software company (PocketSoft) that a new version is soon to be out that works with Vista. I hope that means it converts the mdb files to the cdb format like ActiveSync used to do.

I want to thank you all for the suggestions and, mostly, your patience.