4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles carried over from 1 doc 2 another (WORD2003)

Hi

I have a strange problem. I have got TWO template - Template 1 font for all styles is ARIAL while Template 2 font is VERDANA. This is the only change apart from slightly different headers and footers.

Now in

WORD2003: When I copy from the old template to the new template - all the styles are carried forward, i.e. they are all ARIAL. Even if I only copy a paragraph it still copies over the styles.

WORD2000:When I copy from the old template to the new template - all the styles are now VERDANA (woo hoo!). This is how I would have expected it to work for all versions of WORD.

So why the difference? I would expect it to use the styles based on the template and not carry forward from old document.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Robie.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles carried over from 1 doc 2 another (WORD2003)

Are you sure that the formatting is that of the paragraph style, and not a character style or directly applied formatting? The behavior you describe for Word 2000 is the "universal" behavior for all versions, although Word 2002 and later may display a "paste options" smart tag that lets you decide how to copy formatting.

See Why does text change format when I copy it into another document in Microsoft Word?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reponse Hans.

Yes - it is definitely paragraph formatting. Something like, Heading1, Heading2, Normal,Bullet etc. Same styles defined in both templates but the font has changed from Arial to Verdana. BTW: I am doing this under VB in a macro. Althoug, just copy and paste bears the same result.

Thanks for link. Will look into it.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot reproduce the behaviour you describe in Word 2003. If Document 1 and Document 2 both contain a style A (whether it is a built-in style or a custom style), text formatted with style A in Document 1 takes on the formatting of style A in Document 2 when it is copied from Document 1 to Document 2.