3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded Objects (XP)

A client has a rather large document with embedded objects, outlook messages, other word documents, excel spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations,and pdf. Some of the Word documents that are embedded also have embedded objects within them. When he tries to open ann embedded object he gets the message 'Word is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action' His system then locks up and he has to reboot.

Is there a limit to the number of embedded objects that can be placed in a Word document? Would it be better to have hyperlinks to the necessary information?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded Objects (XP)

Word can handle large numbers of embedded objects (I've created documents with thousands of embedded images.) But I'm not surprised that it chokes at embedded objects within embedded objects. What's the point? Hyperlinks might be better (but they won't work if the source documents are moved, or if the target document is sent elsewhere without the documents it contains hyperlinks to.) Perhaps it's time to rethink what your client really needs.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded Objects (XP)

Thanks. I agree that having embedded objects within embedded objects is problematic. The client when he sends out agendas wants all previous minutes, emails pertaining to previous discussions, etc in one place so other members of the committee have easy access to the information. I agree that he needs to re-think his needs, but it is the age old problem, you can lead a horse to water but .......