3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alternative to white text on blue? (all)

Since working in a dimly lit environment, I've discovered the value of white text on a blue background (Tools>Options>General). It's better than black on white, but probably not as good as grey on black or some other combination. Anyone know how I might change the text and background colors?

Slightly related: will white on blue reduce power drain on a laptop?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Alternative to white text on blue? (all)

The "white text on blue background" option is hard-coded, there is no way you can customize the colors.
    You could experiment with the options in the Appearance tab of the Display Properties control panel, but that would affect all applications, not just Word. There are "inverted" color schemes.

I don't think white on blue will make much, if any, difference in power consumption.

Lounger
    Thanks

I realize this is a tangent, but in the spirit of presenting options ... I've found Dark Room to be very useful. It's a minimal word processor that basically gives you a totally blank screen for typing in. You can set your own background and text colors, and it saves to simple text files, which you can open in Word or copy/paste to wherever.

Of course this won't help if you need to work in Word or simply prefer to, but I have found Dark Room to be very good for basic drafting and editing -- situations where I don't want to worry about formatting or style, just the words that I'm writing. And I find a black screen with light blue text to be much easier on the eyes than a glaring white page in Word!

Thanks

If you work in Web Layout view, you can assign a background color. That color doesn't print, I don't think, so you could make it your default. On the other hand, some formatting may work differently in Web Layout view, and who knows what Word might be doing in the background to prepare your document for publishing as HTML.