3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VB Cleanup (Office 2000)

Hi,

I've always wondered if VB cleans itself up. Let's say I have a form that initially had many command buttons etc. and I decide after a while that I don't need some of those command buttons and I either delete them from the form or replace them with some other command. Does the "command" instructions delete itself from VB as well? or does it remain forever.

If the deleted instructions stay in the VB, does it then eventually become bloated? Just wondered.

Thanks!
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB Cleanup (Office 2000)

1) No, VBA doesn't clean itself up - unused code will remain until you remove it.
    2) Unused code contributes to the file size, so it makes sense to scan your code for it from time to time.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I had a suspicion that that was true. In the future, would it be a good idea to delete the command in VBA before I delete the button(s)? This way I would be sure of deleting the correct one?

Thanks Hans,
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's not really necessary, although it would be a good discipline.

There's a relatively easy way to find out if an event procedure still belongs to an existing control:if you click anywhere in the procedure, the Object dropdown list in the upperleft of the module window will display either the name of the control or the word General. The latter indicated that the procedure doesn't belong to a control any more.

Note: for "standard" procedures and functions, for example those in a standard module, you'll also see General. That is nothing to worry about, since these procedures and functions are intended to be called from other code, or in an expression.