Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Zip Drive

Recently tried to install a zip drive and as a result lost Windows 98. Anyone else having a problem with zip drive installation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing Zip Drive

You need to provide a lot more details about the system you are running, and the version of Win98 you have.

I had big problems with installing a USB 100 zip drive on my AMD500 machine - see another thread regarding a CD-ROM. Then, tonight, thanks to the good folks at pcnineoneone.com, I discovered that there is a known issue with my configuration - and a fix on the MS site (Q240075 is the KB article). I installed the file provided, and a couple of test transfers and it appears to have fixed the file transfer problems that started the whole problem with the CD-ROM driver!

Kiwi44

Lounger
    Thanks

My system is Windows 98 original with Cyrix 300 processor. So far I can't even reload Windows 98, keep getting all kinds of error messages when it reboots. Have taken the zip drive out and still can't reload windows 98.
    Dave

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

more specifics on the errors? filenames will be very helpful. oh - and try booting to command prompt and renaming autoexec.bat. then reboot.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Also let us know if you're installing as USB, IDE or whatever, and what other devices may be chained.

I'm afraid my IDE Zip drive install went perfectly; setting the master/slave jumpers correctly off the bat was a major help. Unlike when I installed the second hard drive; LOTS of things went wrong, including knocking the master/slave jumper off the CDRom by accident and not noticing it lying in the bottom of the case ... for 3 days(why it was so loose I'll never know).

Can you reinstate the machine succesfully without the Zip drive?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

I had to fdisk and format to get it to load windows 98. I haven't attempted to hook up the zip drive. It came with no instructions other than on a CD Rom which I forgot to read.
    Its an IDE device and I didn't know it had jumpers to set.
    I'll check it out. I suppose I will have to check the CMOS settings too?
    Dave

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If it's an IDE device you must set the jumpers correctly, but you shouldn't have to mess with the BIOS. Depending on your setup, the easiest way to install a Zip is chain it with the CD ROM on the CDROM IDE ribbon and set it as a slave.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS