3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Header repagination problem (Word 2000 (9.0.2720))

I've got this MAD pagination problem that's driving me MAD!
    See the attached doc.
    When I open it, it's three pages. The third page is a single row, single column table (basically a box that needs to stay together).
    If I open a header (say dbl click on the page 1 header, or choose the View, Header and Footer menu, then close the header without touching anything, the text on the third page now floats on up to page 2, and the document becomes just 2 pages!
    The third page text must only just not-fit on page 2. It looks like editing a header, without even changing it, causes Word to drop the header completely if there's nothing there, causing a repagination. (If you have a different printer to me with different printable margins, then the doc might not start as 3 pages. Adjust it in the body text before trying to just three pages first.)
    Any ideas most welcome!
    Thanks
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header repagination problem (Word 2000 (9.0.2720))

The same happens if you

- Switch from Print Layout view to Normal view or to Outline view and back, or
    - Switch to Print Preview and back.
    - Reduce the font size of the last paragraph mark in the document.

If you perform any of these actions, then save the document, it will reopen with 2 pages the next time - at least for me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Header repagination problem (Word 2000 (9.0.2720))

I see the same thing as Hans whenever the document is repaginated. My own guess is that, if the document had been repaginated in some fashion (print preview, etc.) before saving, it would have been noticed then. At least the dreaded "Use printer metrics to lay out document" option is turned off and can be ruled out at this time. The table behaves oddly in other ways, too. For example, adding a single return before the table causes the whole table to move to the next page, even though the "Keep with next" attribute is only applied to the first paragraph (which should mean only the first and second paragraphs stay together), and even though "Allow row to break across pages" is turned on for that row. Personally, I'd recreate the whole table to exorcise any table demons, since it seems that the table has some unknown or obscure "properties" applied that aren't obvious.

Regardless, if you need the table to stay together on one page, the best preventative approach (which is always better than a remedial approach!) is to select that row/table and change the settings to prevent it from breaking across pages (Table:Table properties... > Row > Allow row to break across pages.) While the table will still move up to page two when the document is initially repaginated (using Print Preview, etc.), inserting one more carriage returns immediately preceding the table will bump the whole table to the next page, if that is what you desire. If the table had multiple rows, I'd combine that approach with the "Keep with next" paragraph format option. And if you always wanted the table to begin a new page, you can always apply the "Page break before" paragraph format property to the first paragraph in the table.

I noticed that the "Compatibility settings" for this document are set for Word 97. For what it's worth, we used to have peculiar pagination problems in Word 97 with certain templates, too. Specifically, if a document had a header that was "too big" for the header area (the area between the "Header Distance" and the "Top Margin") and which extended into the main text area, inexplicable pagination issues would arise on any page that had a footnote. On such a page, the bottom of the body text would wrap to the next page well before the footnote itself, leaving about three inches of white space between the body and the footnote separator. This extra space would go away if either the top margin were increased to accommodate the header or if the header were edited to fit in the area between the Header Distance and the Top Margin.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike