Observed symptom/'behaviors: when I turn on my computer 1) I get the initial HP screen (normal) 2) blank black screen (normal) 3) the windows xp screen w/ the lillte sweep bar (normal). THe initial windows screen does the little sweep bar for 10-14 seconds - 4) then the computer shuts down, restarts (not normal) The computer then loops through behaviors 1-4 for as long as I care to sit there.
What I have tried so far: following the instructions from MS 'window xp : how to fix a computer that won't start" I have ( this order)
1) press f8, select ' last known good configuration ..." I get the same behavior as above.
2) I'd recently (2 weeks ago) installed a sony camcorder - hardware (firewire & usb) & installed software (more about software below) - I removed the cables for the camcorder's base station - (not the ports on the computer) - tried to start computer and got the same behavior as above.
3) press f8, select 'safe mode' - safe mode lists a page of file names all part of win32 then - got the same behavior as above.
Recent changes & observations -
As noted above I installed a sony 'handycam' camcorder - the computer recognized the hardware. I installed one cd of software which seemed to load ok, later I occasionally gor error messages on start up or shutdown saying the software had a missing file - bad install - reinstall - well I never got around to that. Also there was a second cd of software - did not get this to load at all. However, other than these error messages the computer seemd to be working OK.
Interesting stuff from 'taskmanager'
1)svchost.exe - eating 20 -50% of CPU - I'd read some about that this is form a recent MS update.
2)spysweeper - eating 10-50% of CPU - I created a problem ticket with those guys - I haven't seen a resonse from them. However, If I close down spysweeper - it no longer eats cpu.
3)I have a maxtor onetouch backup drive - if you have a scheduled backup that is supposed to occur & the maxtor harddrive is turned off at that time - one of the maxtor programs eats a bunch of cpu.
Other info -
I use pc-cillin for viruses - realtime virus protection is enabled, last sweep for viruses was a little over a week ago. - no problems indicated.
The last things I did before the startup loop happened was:
Loaded pictures from a digital camera, organized them - ran disc cleanup and defrag. Unfortunately, I deleted the 145 picutres from a family vacation from the camera card & had not yet copied them to my maxtor drive.
So I am wondering :
1) Any suspected caused/ proposed solution that I can implement?
2) does this sound like a virus/malware & do I need to take it in for cleanup?
I am not slamming here - (& i'm not sure of the board etiquette here) just an observation and question - last year my daughters computer got a virus - we took the computer to geek squad - while they did clean up the virus, other aspects of their service was not all that I hoped for. So, any opinion about 'data doctors' ?
Any help is most welcome - shiryo