3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Parental Control (XP 2)

I'll be installing internet access in my 9 year old grandson's XP computer. I have never dealt with parental control before. What would be the best way to keep him free from offensive spam? Do the XP controls work well, or Googles, or other freeware, or do I need to buy some special software? Does an;ything work? (I plan to put AVG in for him, and can put the spam control from it in also).

kdoc

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Parental Control (XP 2)

kdoc,

My suggestion would be to set up a separate account for him to log on to, one that isn't an administrator. Then you can set the permissions for IE to block adult content, amongst other settings.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. What I was also wondering is whether that approach to blocking adult content actually works? I'm used to spam controls which work, but only some of the time. Should I trust only IE, or should I add something like the spam controls in AVG, etc.

kdoc

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It works, usually pretty well. You can also test out the settings to see if they meet your criteria.