Results 1 to 2 of 2
2007-04-20, 12:04 #1
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
- Dublin, Ireland, Republic of
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xp Home network file shares (xp home edition )
I have a dexktop running XP home edition, networked (wifi) to a laptop running w2k. The XP system shares a folder with the laptop so I can transfer files. That was until last week. Now when I try to acces the XP share folder from W2K it asks fro a userid & password (never did this before), when I enter a valid ID and PW nothing happens, I am looped back to the UID/PW screen.
So what changed. well I upgraded from norton interent security 2006 to Norton 360.
What I have tried so far (none of whitch have worked)
1) Disabled Norton 360 Firewall.
2) Disabled windows firewall
3) Attempted to setup a second share
4) Verified userid and passwords (both same on XP and W2K systems)
5) Called Symantec (suggested reinstall Norton 360 ) could not explain why, or what this would fix , so I declined
6) have successfully accessed folders on the laptop (W2k) from the xp
The w2k laptop can see the xp server in the workgroup, it is only when I access the server/folder that I get the request for UID/PW.
On the XP syetem the security log shows Logon/Logoff event , that failed because of a "unknown user name or bad password",
I have checked and rechecked UID/PW and they are correct ie same as on XP machine...
Any constructive thoughts welcome.
2007-04-20, 12:15 #2
- Join Date
- Jan 2001
- Quedgeley, Gloucester, England
- Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: xp Home network file shares (xp home edition )
Probably the best approach is to read through this Star Post <!post=Troubleshooting file shares on a home network,589883>Troubleshooting file shares on a home network<!/post>
John<font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>
Ita, esto, quidcumque...