Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linked ODBC table (2003)

I am trying to pull data from a very large table that I link to through ODBC. I can't find any way to force a numeric field to change to a text field. It contains ID numbers, some of which start with leading zeros or alpha characters, and I need to link that field to similar data in other imported tables where the field is a text field. Is there any way I can force that change in a linked table? (There are tens of millions of rows so importing the ODBC table really is not an option.)
    Thanks for any suggestions- you all are an incredible resource!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linked ODBC table (2003)

As far as I know, there is no way to change the data type in linked tables.
    I think that Access (or the ODBC driver) looks at the first few records to determine the data type for each field, so a trick I sometimes use is to insert dummy records at the beginning of the external table in which each field has a value of the correct data type. Then, use a query to exclude the dummy records from being used. Of course, I don't know if this is possible in your situation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks for the reply. There is no way to insert dummy records, unfortunately. I'll try to attack it some other way.
    Judy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do you wish to do this i queries? If so when you reference the field i questio simply do the following:

"" & Fieldname as Alias

The concatenation of "" prior to the fielname causes the concatenated to be a text field.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat,
    Yes, I am running a query using the two tables, linked by this unique identifier field. One table has the ID as a numeric field, and the other table has it as a text field. That's where Access says it can't do it- becasue the fields aren't the same.
    When you said to write that statement, what is the best way to do that? Where should that statement (""&[ID] as alias) be written?
    Thanks so much for your help on this.
    Judy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The idea is to create a query based on the linked table. In addition to the fields from the table, create a calculated column (field) in the query:
    <code>
    TextID: "" & [ID]
    </code>
    Save this query. Use this query instead of the table in queries in which you want to link to other tables. Link on the TextID field.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fantastic! Thank you very much. It worked like a charm.
    Judy