2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New database query (2003)

I want to create a New Database Query in Excel which pulls in data from an Access query. The problem is that because the Access query has a calculated field the Excel import wizard won't allow the link as there is an 'unrecognised function' in the query. What is the best way to get around this, preferably with out removing the calculated field in the Access query

Thanks

Re: New database query (2003)

What is in the calculated field expression?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is a dateaddw function

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you always need to have up-to-date results in Excel, you'll have to remove the calculated field from the query, and either replace it by something the ODBC driver understands, or perform the calculations in Excel.
    If it's OK if the results are not always up-to-date, you could change the query to a make-table query and run that from time to time. You can then pull the data from the table into Excel. Or export the results of the query from Access to Excel.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is dateaddw? Do you mean dateadd?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dateaddw is a user defined 'add working days' function. I guess I will have to do the calculation in Excel. It is just that the Access query is a union query and there a number of different conditions which will mean adding different number of days to each record. But I think that is the only way forward as the data needs to be a 'live' link.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The ODBC driver cannot handle user-defined functions, so you'll have to take the calculated field out of the query, alas.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have now removed the calculated field but am now getting another error message - "Too few parameters - expected 8". Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the query have parameters, or refer to controls on forms?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't spot any

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd have to have more information - could you post the SQL of the problem query, or post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans the SQL is below:

SELECT tblCostings.ID, tblCostings.[Costing Type], tblCostings.[C&W Ref], tblCostings.DateIn, tblCostings.Status,tblStaff.Name, tblCostings.[Requestor Name], tblCostings.[Customer Name], tblCostings.[Customer Address], tblCostings.Postcode
    FROM tblStaff INNER JOIN tblCostings ON tblStaff.StaffID = tblCostings.Staff
    WHERE (((tblCostings.Status)="WIP"))
    UNION ALL SELECT DivCostings.AtkRef, DivCostings.Type, DivCostings.ClientRef, DivCostings.DateReceivedClient, DivCostings.Status, iif(DivCostings.Planner is not null, DivCostings.Planner, DivCostings.FOMResponsible), DivCostings.ClientPM, DivCostings.ClientCustomer, DivCostings.Address, DivCostings.PostCode
    FROM DivCostings
    WHERE (((DivCostings.Status) Is Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null)) OR (((DivCostings.Status)="in progress") AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null)) OR (((DivCostings.Status)="on hold") AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null)) OR (((DivCostings.Status)="converted to c4") AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null)) OR (((DivCostings.Status)="converted to build") AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null)) OR (((DivCostings.Status)="In Projects") AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null)) OR (((DivCostings.Status)="In OSM") AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null)) OR (((DivCostings.Status)="In Field") AND ((DivCostings.DateReceivedClient) Is Not Null) AND ((DivCostings.DateIssueClient) Is Null));

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid that nothing jumps out at me immediately, so I'd have to see (a stripped down copy of) the database.