3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ghost Files (XP)

Don't believe that this necessarily a Word question, but the question is raised here due to the fact that a client was having troubles with opening and saving Word documents.

Anyway when a document is opened (e.g. Outlook 2002.doc) there is 'ghost file' created with naming such as ~$tlook 2002.doc. Normally when you close the original document the 'ghost file' disappears. However, I have noticed that at times the 'ghost file' still shows up in Windows Explorer, or when you open a folder where you normally save your documents.

What are the possible reasons for the 'ghost file' still showing up? My immediate thought is that it might be due to the client not saving files properly, or a freeze or crash of the system may result in the 'ghost file' not closing because the original document was not saved due to the freeze. Am I on the right track? And if so, can all these 'ghost files' be safely deleted?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghost Files (XP)

Word uses these "ghost" files to keep track of who has opened a document. The most common cause of such a file remaining behind is that Word (or Windows) crashed. Note: sometimes, the "ghost" file will only be removed when all instances of Word are closed; if Word is used as e-mail editor in Outlook, an invisible instance of Word is active as long as Outlook is open.
    It is safe to remove left-over "ghost" files. If such a file is actually in use, you'll get an error message when you try to delete it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One more question. What is the difference in these two types of tmp files? ~WRL####.tmp and ~WRD####.tmp. I notice that ~WRL files will open in Word, ~WRD do not appear to be able to. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks