2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any compelling reason to Upgrade (2007)

Hi,

The company where I work is just 'finishing' deploying Office XP. We skipped Office 2003 because we thought there was no compelling reason to go to it.

Are there any compelling reasons in general to upgrade to Office 2007 (from Xp, now)?

I'm trying to read up on the Office 2007.

It seems like there is a steep learning curve with the new GUI but there could be benefits after learning the new GUI.

The new file formats (.docx) will present some compatiblity problems.

Some reviews say the new formats have a ways to go.

CAn anyone shed any light on all of this.

And are there any compelling application reasons to migrate to 2007.

I work in large company so training and technical support can add up to real dollars.

Yeah, management is asking.

TIA.

Jimmy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Any compelling reason to Upgrade (2007)

The changes in user interface from Office 95 to Office 97, 2000, XP (2002) and 2003 were gradual. Office 2007 is the first version in over 10 years to radically change the user interface, so you'll spend a lot of time and money in training people to become used to the new interface.

The first release of a new Office version usually has its fair share of bigger and smaller problems; many of these should be solved in the service releases that will no doubt come out over the next few years.

Although there are converters that let users with Office XP read documents in the new Office 2007 formats, they are not perfect yet. And most large companies / organizations will probably stay with the version they currently have for some time.

All in all, if you've only just finished rolling out Office XP, I'd say it would be better to use that for a while longer, at least until Office 2007 SP1, perhaps later. But it would be worth while to set up some machines with Office 2007, and to test how company templates etc. fare., and to prepare for the upgrade, since in the end, it will be unavoidable.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

The most compelling arguments that I know of are stability and security. With Office XP you are dealing with a product that is 5 years old and most likely has much less support personnel available than 2007. As far as features go, you should do what Hans suggested and setup a couple of machines with 2007. That way you can evaluate how Office 2007 can impact your company. It certainly will depend on how you use Office in general. What programs are most frequently used, what add-ins if any, etc.

IMO, I don't think the new UI requires a steep learning curve. If anything it really exposes a lot of functionality that people struggled to find with prior versions. In relatively short order your users could become comfortable with it. BTW, you are not required to use the new formats. In each office program you can save in the old (i.e. 2003 and older) format.

All that said, if you are just completing the deployment of Office XP I'd wait for a while (maybe until Office 2007 SP-1) before attempting another rollout.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Having used Office '07 for several months now, I can tell you that the new interface only takes about a day or so to get used to. I upgraded to '07 from '03 and it was the smartest thing I have ever done. Outlook alone was enough to convince me. I use the Professional version with BCM, and the Accounting express package. Those two have saved me hours! over the past couple of months. I agree with Hans. Take it for a test drive. You can do that free from Microsoft.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all who responded.

I agree about the evaluatingpiloting of severeal copies of Office 2007 and also waiting for SP1 (which is our normal habit).

As for upgrades being inevitable, we skipped 2000 going to XP. Skipping 2007 is conceivable but remains to be seen (like what the next version of Office will be).

BTW, we are a Lotus Notes shop (so we don't use Outlook) and we don't Office for collaboration to any great extent.

Ah, life is complicated.

Jimmy