Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Double-Click Action (Excel 2003)

Is it possible to change what a right, double-click does in Excel?

I have a range of cells (O3:Z45). I'd like to double-click a cell in this range and have it change cell color. That would be enough. But, if the code to make that happen could be easily modified to do more, then I would like it to.

What would really be neat is if double-clicking the cell one time makes the cell shade (yellow), double-click the same cell again and it shades (gray). A third double-click and it's back to the default.

Why? Setting up a vendor file where the vendors and other pertinent info is listed in columns B:N. Monthly disbursements listed in columns O:Z. Once an invoice is received, the amount is entered into the appropriate cell, when the check is run, we would double-click the amount and the cell would shade yellow. When the check is actually mailed (or cleared), we would double-click again to shade gray. Very easy to look at the sheet and tell who's been paid, etc.

This describes the "look" I'm after. If there's a better way to accomplish this, I am certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Ricky

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Double-Click Action (Excel 2003)

You can define a double-click action, but keep in mind that the standard action is to edit the cell. You can disable this, but that is counter-intuitive.

To create a double-click action and to disable the default action:
    - Right-click the sheet tab.
    - Select View Code from the popup menu.
    - Enter or paste the following code:
    <code>
    Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    With Target.Interior
    Select Case .ColorIndex
    Case 36
    .ColorIndex = 15
    Case 15
    .ColorIndex = xlColorIndexAutomatic
    Case Else
    .ColorIndex = 36
    End Select
    End With
    Cancel = True
    End Sub
    </code>
    Notes:

1) To enable editing the cell by double clicking, comment out the line Cancel = True.
    2) The code as is applies to all cells. You could limit it to a certain range, if desired.

You could also use the Worksheet_BeforeRightClick event.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm going to use the "Worksheet_BeforeRightClick event" method.
    - Ricky

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It should be noted that the BeforeDoubleClick event routine applies to a LEFT double click, not a right double click as originally asked. I do not see a way to affect a right double click (at least on XL2K).
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps I should have mentioned that explicitly (it was implicit in the mention of editing the cell as default action.)