Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Stubborn update (SP2)

For the life of me, I can't get "MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2" update to install:

This service pack upgrades all Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition instances and components to Service Pack 2 (SP2). If you need additional installation options, you should download this service pack at the Microsoft Download Center. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 921896.

More information for this update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921896

I don't use the beast myself, but have the attached in Add or Remove programs. I just keep getting an error message after reboot, that there were problems and send report (into outer space) etc. Ideas appreciated.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Stubborn update (SP2)

Have you tried a complete uninstall and reinstall? What is the exact error message? Is there an opportunity to get more details?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In attached list you DO NOT have SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed. Instead, you have SQL Server 2005.

Download and install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

SQL Server Express shows up as SQL Server with the 2005 version. The only thing that show up as 'Express' is the Management Console.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, some 250MB later, the update you recommended "took" OK. After a reboot, lo and behold... Express 2005 SP2 is still in my face, ready to download & install. All I can think of (from the install of the non-Express SP2) is that I'll actually have to go and install the base Express component I hadn't installed in the first place (attached) and see if that shuts it up.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OK, finally resorted to uninstalling all things MS SQL Server. That worked, after refreshing Windows Update check.

Alan