Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto-archive not deleting old messages (2003 SP2)

I have auto-archive set up to send old messages to archive.pst. That folder is set up to permanently delete messages older than 4 months, but that stopped working when I upgraded from OL2000 to 2003. The archived items stay around until I manually delete them.

For a while I couldn't archive at all because my old .pst files were ANSI, but I used Upstart to convert them to Unicode. Now items are moved to the archive folders, but not deleted from them.

I don't know if this is related, but I have ghost archive and personal folders -- they show in the folder tree but behave like shortcuts to the real folders. When I run auto-archive, I see the same folder names come up over and over again (e.g., I see "Archiving Deleted Items" several times).

Any ideas?

Robert

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto-archive not deleting old messages (2003 SP2)

You should resolve your second problem, ghost PST's, etc, first.

Can you simply close the ghost listings by right-clicking them and selecting Close? If not, look under Files | Data File Management | Settings to determine which are connected to nonexistent PSTs, see if you can Remove the ghost listings from there. If that doesn't work, search for your "real" PST files and make a note of where they are, and then recreate your Outlook mail profile, see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm.

When you have that sorted out, review the "real" archive PST to see that it contains what it should, and then review the settings under Tools | Options | Other | Autoarchive, per the attached graphic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't been able to resolve the second problem. I was able to close the ghost Archive folder, but not the ghost Personal folder. And when I tried archiving again, the ghost Archive returned. Data File Management only shows one PST file.

I went through the instructions for creating a new profile, but the new profile showed TWO ghost Archive folders. I haven't played with it further.

I also ran Advanced WindowsCare v2 Personal, but that didn't fix the problem.

My archive settings are set correctly, and used to work.

Any other ideas other than reinstalling Outlook?

Robert

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure you set your new profile as the active "Always use this ..." profile. How many profiles do you show in the registry under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Messaging SubsystemProfiles
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I was having the system prompt me for the profile to use, so I'm sure I was looking at the right one. But I figured out the problem with the new profile and was able to delete the phantom folders through Data File Management. It's looking good.

Now I'm wondering whether I can copy all of the email accounts that exist under my old profile. I have 20 accounts in the old profile and it will be a big pain to manually recreate them. Is there an alternative? Can I copy the entries in the registry, or export the account settings from Outlook?

Robert

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Robert, I have heard that the settings transfer wizard <!mskb=293118>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 293118<!/mskb> should work, though I haven't had reason to use it (two personal email acounts is enough for me), and it attempts to transfer ALL settings. See also this <post:=439,891>post 439,891</post:>, or there's the 41(!) steps described here: http://www.wikihow.com/Migrate-Microsoft-O...ngs-to-a-New-Pc.
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm slowly getting there. The link at wikihow.com helped me migrate the accounts, though that method didn't transfer all settings (like passwords and the Advanced settings). (I couldn't see how the Windows Account Transfer utility would work, since it doesn't let you import the settings into a specific profile).

Next problem: Most of these accounts are seldom used. I don't want OL to try to synchrinize them every time it checks for mail. In OL 2000 there was a check box in each account to disable this behavior. That setting was retained in my old profile when I upgraded to OL 2000. Any idea how to make this change in the new profile?

Robert

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In any Outlook message folder window, under Tools | Send/Receive | Send/Recieve Settings | Define Send/Receive groups, you can create account groups and specifiy which groups are to be included in auto-unprompted send/receive runs. (F9 runs send/receive on all Groups.) HTH. (WIth only two accounts, I don't have great experience with this section of the menus.)
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've used it - but I'm the developer, so I guess that doesn't count... In Outlook you can check the Modified Date of the messages giving you trouble to ascertain if that's likely to be where the problem is. While the Modified Date isn't displayed by default, you can add it to the columns displayed by going to "Customize Current View" and selecting "Fields" and then selecting Modified Date from the "All Date/Time Fields" category. Once the Modified Dates are displayed you can very easily compare them to the Received Dates; this will alert you as to whether the messages' Modified Dates are too far forward to allow the messages to fit within your archiving date criteria. If the Modified Dates and the Received Dates are the same, then it would seem that your difficulty is arising from another issue.

Sincerely,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Thanks, John. I found a good description of how to set up Send/Receive groups here: Servicedesk manuals so that problem is solved. The phantom folders are gone, and the new profile seems to be working.

However, I still haven't solved the original problem: auto-archive still isn't clearing old messages out of my archive folders. One of the links you provided pointed me to a set of tools for fixing Outlook problems, where I found ArchiveAssist (http://www.cardiffsoft.com/). Its description says:
    "Outlook archives messages based not on their Received Date or Sent Date but on what Outlook calls their Modified Date. The Modified Date of a message changes to the current date any time you act upon a message by, for instance, doing a search or by Editing, Copying, Importing, or Replying To a message. As a result, if you want to archive all messages which are, for example, 12 months old or older, you may find that you're unable to do so because those messages' Modified Date may have been moved forward. If you can't successfully run an archive operation you'll be forced to keep unwanted messages, resulting in congested folders and, even worse, in an ever growing Personal Store (.pst) file."

I had to run Upstart to covert my PST files to Unicode -- perhaps that changed the modified date and is causing the problems. Possible? Has anyone on this forum used ArchiveAssist?

Robert

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It took a while, but I've finally determined that the problem with auto-archive not deleting old messages is being cased by the Modified date.

Robert

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting back with this, it will help other Loungers. Did archiving begin to fire after enough time had passed that the modified date met the criteria?
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The auto-deletion from the archive file started working after the modified date passed. I'm guessing that upgrading to OL 2003 or processing the files through Upstart to convert them to Unicode changed the modified date.

Robert