Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sending mail with Thunderbird (Thunderbird 1.5.0.1

Hi
    I've been using mozilla thunderbird and ZoneAlarm as firewall and was having no problem for the last couple of years now.
    Thunderbird version: 1.5.0.10
    Zonealarm version: 7.0.337.000

Lately I've been having problems sending (SMPT) e-mail.

When I want to send e-mails I first have to start thunderbird, shutdown zonealarm and then restart zonealarm once again.
    If I don't do this circus, thunderbird can't seem to find the SMTP server so it can't send the mail.
    It's as if thunderbird was blocked by zonealarm and when I restart it, it gets a chance to "READ" a configuration file and now zonealarm knows what to do with the mail client...

Can anyone help me ?

Any help would be greately appreciated

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sending mail with Thunderbird (Thunderbird 1.5

Try removing the permissions for Thunderbird in ZoneAlarm and then resetting them when prompted. That should fix it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried that before but the problem seems to come back anyways... Kind of weird huh ? (weird computer problems... nothing new)

Anyways, I've sort of solved the problem, I switched to Mcafee firewall.

BTW is Mcafee a good firewall application ?

Thanks for the reply

New Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide, or the 1-Click TagPanel, or even <!post=this StarPost.,438749>this StarPost.<!/post>

ZoneAlarm can get confused when it upgrades or the program you are having problems with upgrades. Besides that, I like and use it.

I haven't heard that much about McAfee's. I tried it for a while, but found it too resource hungry and would block things without reason. Give it a try. You may like it better than I did.

You're quite welcome. If you have more problems with Thunderbird, I can be found over at MozillaZine Forums most of the time. I'm a moderator over there. We also have a good number of very good regular helpers.