Thread: Simple setup

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Simple setup

Elementary, Watson, but simpler to ask it here than invest hours of research.

I want to set up a network, strictly EtherNet although two machines have built-in wireless, and it's a mixture of Vista, XP Pro, and XP Home, although the last-named is of no consequence except that XP Home is the only system I have had no difficulty in past with networking. I have a total of 5 computers but only three are in active service and there is only one of me, so the only practical application is file transfer (including backups) or peripheral sharing, and the most computers I normally have running at a given time is two unless I'm setting up the network.

Where do I begin? (singing): with Vista or with one of the others? I do have network applications and I really want to get the thing set up, but as I say, the only operating system I had any luck with networking easily was XP Home and I'm looking whatever is easiest. Vista is loaded with security features which leave the impression that it might be the most difficult.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Simple setup

I'd start with Vista. See Windows Vista Help: Networking for much more reading. Keep in mind, Troubleshooting file shares on a home network for help in debugging.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Simple setup

Great. Thanks.