Thanks

Power Saving Options (Vista Ultimate)

I have my screen saver set to kick in after 5 minutes of inactivity. Power Options are set to Energy Star (turn off the display in 15 minutes, put the computer to sleep in 20 minutes). I have a check mark in the box "On resume, display logon screen". Under these conditions things work as expected.

However, if I remove the check mark from the "On resume, display logon screen" box, the screen saver kicks in but the monitor does not turn off and the computer does not go to sleep.

Is this situation normal?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Power Saving Options (Vista Ultimate)

It is not normal. Most likely you've got something running in the background that won't let the PC sleep. What have you added or changed lately?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Would you just happen to be using a cordless USB mouse where the sending unit works via wireless, e.g., a Microsoft notebook mouse? IF that is the case, they are known to cause what you are experiencing. The wireless connection via the USB dongle is seen as constant activity and thus the Power Options many times won't kick in.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks

Jeff, I do have a wireless mouse. It's a Logitech laser MX-1000. While it has a USB interface, I actually have it connected to the PS/2 port due to some erratic behavior it displays when connected to the USB port. I had the same problem with it under WinXP and Vista. The erratic behavior goes away when the mouse is connected to the PS/2 port. That being said, it's not clear to me how the mouse could be causing the problem... same mouse when the check mark is there (will sleep) and when it is not there (won't sleep).

BTW, I may have an issue due to the suggestions you gave for removing the shortcut arrows. Still looking into this. More soon.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

Joe, good thought but it's hard for me to make a correlation between what I may have added or changed and the problem I described. I don't know when the problem actually started. I only noticed this strange behavior the day I posted to the lounge. That was the day I first removed the check mark. Regardless of what I may have changed, the problem is there when I remove the check mark and goes away when I re-insert the check mark. The only changes I remember making recently are a: installing Thunderbird 2.0 and b: making a few registry changes as suggested by Pilgrim in <post#=644,561>post 644,561</post#> to remove shortcut arrows.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

The wireless USB mouse issue is not applicable to the MX1000 since it connects directly to a USB or PS2 port from a base station. The mice that have the problem I mentioned are those which use a USB "dongle" sending unit, e.g., a Microsoft Wireless Notebook mouse and in some cases the Logitech VX Revolution mouse.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If you are up to a little debugging try this, change the time for the screen save to kick in to something fairly short. Then change the 'off' time for the monitor to NEVER. Then change the sleep time to something fairly short also. Sit and observe. If the login screen pops up before the machine goes to sleep then there is some background activity going on that the PC thinks is real work. I had something similar happening and it was related to the ATI video card I think. If you look at vista sleep problem - Google Search you'll see many threads with different 'solutions'

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff/Paul

Thanks for the tip(s) on removing the Vista shortcut arrows. Took the tricks from How-toGeek. I cannot help with the sound settings, it only shows a microphone as sound-in on my laptop.

Regards, Teunis