New Lounger
    Thanks

Password Protect individual worksheets in File (Excel 2003)

I've got a user with a workbook with multiple worksheets. She wants to assign a different password to each worksheet. I don't think it's possible, but figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password Protect individual worksheets in File (Excel 2003)

It depends on what she wants.
    She can protect each worksheet with an individual password. In a protected worksheet, only unlocked cells can be edited. Other cells can be viewed, but not edited. The password is needed to unprotect the worksheet so that all cells can be edited.
    If she wants to restrict access to individual worksheets, it becomes more complicated - VBA code would be needed. She could set the Visible property of all sheets (except one) to xlSheetVeryHidden. This means that the sheets cannot be unhidden from the Excel interface (they won't be listed in Format | Sheet | Unhide), only through VBA code. She could provide macros that prompt the user for a password, and if the password is correct for a sheet, the sheet would be unhidden (i.e. its Visible property set to xlSheetVisible). The sheets should be hidden again in the Workbook_BeforeSave event in the ThisWorkbook module.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password Protect individual worksheets in File (Excel 2003)

Thanks Hans. You Rock!!