Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Signature block layout (2003)

I've built a template for correspondence for my organization's commander (or CEO). The template has to contend with certain layout requirements that have been in place for many decades. My immediate concern is the signature block area, and the attached sample document shows where I have a problem.

You'll see the signature block comprises three lines, and each line MUST start at precisely the middle of the page. That requirement by itself would be no problem. The trouble starts when the document has enclosures (abbreviated "encls" on the sample). It gets even more complicated when the document has both enclosures and what we call a "DISTRIBUTION list." (The latter is a list of addressees. We use a distribution list when the number of addressees exceeds a certain number. In these cases, the "Memorandum for:" lines reads, MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION.") The distribution list sits flush with the left margin and begins on the second line below the last line of the signature block. If there's a long list of enclosures, however, the distribution list starts two lines below the last item in the list of enclosures.

Our style guide requires the word "Encls" to appear on the same line as the first line of the signature block, but flush with the left margin. Some memos require that the enclosures be listed; when we do that, we number the enclosures. That's what you'll see in the sample. I've chosen to use a table of 2 columns to deal with this situation. The table works OK, but the user will run into a problem if the name of the first and/or second enclosures exceeds a single line. When that happens, the table cell for that enclosure will expand, which will affect the layout of the signature block itself in the second column.

So I figure there must be a better way to set up this signature block area. I'll be grateful for any suggestions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Signature block layout (2003)

You could use a table with just two cells in one row. Or use two columns (from Format | Columns) with 0 space in between. Both options are demonstrated in the attached version.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Signature block layout (2003)

Hm-m-m...either approach works nicely! Thank you once again, Hans!