3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

registry changes won't save (XP S/pack2)

On my keyboard the num lock is off at start up. Using regedit and the Modify option, I have tried changing the registry HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelKeyboard and changing the InitialKeyboardindicators to 2. Logged on both as myself and then as administrator. Inboth cases on reboot the setting has reverted back to 0 (indicators off). Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong?
    Thanks
    Roberta

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: registry changes won't save (XP S/pack2)

I would change the NumLock setting in the BIOS. It's an option in all the BIOSes I've come across...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I believe you need to change the boot status of numlock by going in to the BIOS for that setting. If you've never explored the BIOS before, be very careful NOT to change something by accident. Most computers let you have a second or two at boot time to hit a BIOS entry key (F2, or F12, or Del for example).

If you happen to have supplemental keyboard control software there could be a setting in there too, but the BIOS is probably the quickest and easiest.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One other setting you may need to change prior to changing that is the SystemRestore key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSystemRestore]

I know that when trying to delete/change system files if this key isn't disabled first that your computer will automatically revert to the previous version/existance of the file.
    "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will be hacked. What&#39;s more, you deserve to be hacked." -Richard Clarke