Star Lounger
    Thanks

Enter large docs (2003/11.5614.8122)

I've read that you can enter documents larger than 65K words into the memo field if you do it programmatically. But:
    1. How, exactly, is that done, and more importantly,
    2. I want to run queries and reports etc. on a table that includes both these large memo files and shorter text ones; but can Access do this?
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Enter large docs (2003/11.5614.8122)

You could use DAO to manipulate the contents of a memo field, but could you explain what you want to accomplish? Although a memo field can contain up to 1 GB (1024 KB) of data, you wouldn't be able to do much with it - a text box on a form or report can only display 64 K characters. A hyperlink field containing links to external documents might be a better solution.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I thought of the hyperlink but I want to be able to run a query that looks through all the text boxes. Can access do that with linked external documents? Maybe there is another way. here's what I'm after -- I have 150 political campaign speeches. some have more than 64K characters; some have less. I want to do some very simple searches on them. For example, I'd like to know which speeches used the term "inflation" and how many times it was used in each speech that used the word. Can access do that with hyperlinked external documents?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What format do the speeches have? If they are Word documents, keep in mind that a memo field is just a large-capacity plain text field - all formatting would be lost if you stored a document in a memo field. If that is not a problem, you could use the memo field in queries.

Otherwise, you could put the documents in a single folder, and use Application.FileSearch in VBA code to select documents containing specific words. If the speeches are Word docs, I would do this from Word instead of from Access.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, formatting isn't important. I've been saving them as plain text anyway. So the issue is still size. If access can run a query on a linked external file, I'll do that. If not, I guess I could split the longer speeches into separate records. Or, if a record can have two separate memo fields, that would work fine. I think.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access cannot use external documents in a query.

You should be able to use VBA code to place an entire document in a memo field, but as I mentioned before you wouldn't be able to view, edit or print it.
    It is also possible to have multiple memo fields in a record.

I stil think you'd be better off placing all speech documents in a single folder and using VBA code, for example from Word, to loop through the documents to perform counts etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

I'm sure you're right, but that would require learning more about VBA code that I want to at the moment. For now I've added another memo field and that seems to be working okay. Thanks again.