Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

3GB memory (Home Premium)

I would like to return to the question re: RAM over 2GB. I started with 2GB and added a third after Vista was installed. I couldn't boot at first but I returned to 2GB and, after much online research, discovered Boot Advanced in MSCONFIG and there is a checkoff that says MAX Memory. I checked it off and tried to change the max to 3072 but it kept changing back to 2048. I was able to boot with the 3GB but Vista Home Premium still only recognized 2047. My Bios doesn't have Memory Remapping so I can't disable it. During the boot, the mother board recognizes the 3GB and when I switch to XP Pro, on another hard drive, it recognizes the 3GB. I conclude that there is something in the registry that is holding Vista back. I found the Physical Memory Key but don't know if changing it would do the trick and I certainly don't know what to change it to. I see others with 3GB recognized but they all seem to have Ultimate and I wonder if I could cure the problem by upgrading. I hate to do that because I am VERY happy with Home Premium. Does any one have experience with the registry in this regard or has anyone upgraded to Ultimate to get the third Gig recognized????

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: 3GB memory (Home Premium)

You need to change the boot configuration data. See Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions, BCDEdit /set, and BCD Boot Options Reference.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. I have no experience with command line so I will have to do a lot of reading. I can get the command line up but I have no idea, at this point, of what to enter. A quick look says to use the truncate memory but what to put down with it is a mystery to me. If you know the exact entry I would appreciate that. I am an accurate typist and always check my work.
    Koffeedude

New Lounger
    Thanks

what I have typed below is what I get out of what I have read. The only part I don't know about is the part in { } the brackets. As I understand it, I could skip that part because it is the GUID for the boot the boot entry that I want to change and if I don't include that it will change the current operating sytem entry. Since that is the only operating system on this hard drive I assume that I would enter c>bcdedit /set truncatememory 3221225472

c>bcdedit /set {49916baf-0e08-11db-9af4-000bdbd316a0} truncatememory 3221225472

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm kinda new at this, but you might want to take a look at VistaBootPRO and its associated forum at: PROnet Developed Software

Administrator
    Thanks

Did you just add one stick of 1GB to your system? Many new systems require memory sticks be added in pairs. So, to go from 2GB (2x1GB sticks) to 3GB you'd need to add two 512MB sticks.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

That is certainly correct with new systems IF one is using Dual-channel memory. The poster can easily tell if his system supports dual-channel memory by looking at the RAM slots on the motherboard and if there there are 2 different colors then the motherboard supports it. So, not only must the RAM be used in matched pairs if it is dual-channel, it must be inserted into the same colored slots. On my particular system, which does support dual-channel memory and which I am using, I have 2 x 1 gig in one set of matched color slots and 2 x 512 megs in the other pair of matched color slots giving me 3 gigs. It can be confusing to someone new to DDR2 vs. DDR RAM and how each type is to be installed, i.e., inserted into which slot, used singly or in pairs.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks

You're right on. I should have been more detailed in the explanation. Hope there is enough there now to help him.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have three slots that support up to 3GB of DDR. Remember I said XP Pro recognizes the 3GB and the boot sequence shows the full three. Did you look at my proposed edit of BCD and is that correct?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I looked at VistaBootPro and I didn't see anything that would address adding memory to the boot. I would diminish memory if you wanted it to. I looked at all the posts on the forum and none of them addressed memory. Since it is free I will download it and have a look but I think that editing the BCD is a straightforward option and I would just like to be sure that what I propose to do is correct.

Administrator
    Thanks

Not sure about the BCD edit. I've not had the occasion to try it. What does your boot.ini file for XP look like?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, I tried the BCD edit because I was pretty sure of myself but I got this as a result: "The Boot Configuration Data Store Could Not be Opened. Access is Denied." I tried the /enum switch to get the GUID and got the same response. I downloaded the VistaBootPro program and got the GUID from it and tried again with that entered where it was supposed to be and got the same response. Home Premium has some throttles on it. It won't allow the Repair My Computer either. I am at a loss as to the next step. I have to take the side off the computer to change the hard drives to get to XP so I will wait and do that this weekend. They both have their own boot configuration. I don't need any extra storage and it takes too long to do all the maintenance when both Hard drives are accessable.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You are correct... VistaBoot Pro does not address memory issues but was designed for those wanting to dual-boot Vista with one or more operating systems.

There is an article which may help on that site here: Windows Operating Systems and Physical RAM in excess of 3GB . Don't be put off by the title of the article. Read it through and see if there is something which may help.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks

I'm sure that you need to run the CMD session with elevated privileges.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

to Pilgrim: I have read that article three times and could find nothing that would help me. For one thing, I have only 3GB of memory and no more. All the people that have been affected in that way had 4GB.

Joe, I have a user profile to do most of my computing but, when I need to do something to change the system or add a program, I have an administrator profile. I did all of the BCD work in that profile. I just don't think Microsoft wants me changing my Boot configuration because Home Premium users are too stupid. to do that or they don't want us to have the extra memory unless we have Ultimate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast