2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel add-ins using own menus, toolbars won't work (Excel 2002 SP3)

Yesterday I tried installing a plug-in via its own custom installer. After repeated error messages I gave up. Since then, none of my existing plug-ins, which have their own custom toolbar or a heading on Excel's main menu bar, work anymore -- all result in error messages. Those messages written in comprehensible English say that the failures related to not being able to create their toolbars.

A friend suggested that I find and delete the *.xlb file under Documents & Settings / User Name / Applications Data / Microsoft Excel. However, I found no such file -- nor, using Windows Explorer's search function, did I find any *.xlb files on my C drive at all.

I also followed advice given to me earlier on this site to try removing any files from the XLSTART folder, to no avail.

I sure would appreciate any help, because I've got a lot of money tied-up in plug-ins, plus a lot of work to do with them!

I

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel add-ins using own menus, toolbars won't work (Excel 2002 SP3)

Try the suggestions in Jan Karel's star post Systematic approach to behavior problems in XL .
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The correct location of your .xlb file is
    <code>
    Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcel
    </code>
    Note that it is "Documents and Settings", not "Documents & Settings", and "Application Data", not "Applications Data", and that "Microsoft" and "Excel" are separate folders.

Application Data is a hidden folder, so in order to see it, you must show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer:
    - Open Windows Explorer.
    - Select Tools | Folder Options...
    - Activate the View tab.
    - Select "Show hidden files and folders".
    - Click OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi guys,
    Thank you both for responding. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Regarding Jan's advice on his site, I tried everything there before posting my question here; that was what my reference to previous advice was.
    As for the the *.xlb file -- yes, Hans, pardon my spelling, but I did open the right folders, which I had previously unhidden. It is definitely not there.

Any other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you customize the toolbars interactively? If you change anything, for example moving a toolbar button, or toggle the value of "Show Standard and Formatting toolbars on two rows" in the Options tab of Tools | Customize..., Excel should create Excel10.xlb in the folder I indicated when you quit it.
    If it doesn't, there is a more serious problem with your Excel installation. Try Help | Detect and Repair from within Excel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eureka! Aye Carrumba! That toggling trick did it... Not only do all the add-ins work, but Excel starts up as quickly as the day I'd installed it .... thanks very much.

By the way, I'm just curious, what is this *xlb file? It was huge (> 7 mb). Does it have anything to do with the fact that over the last year Excel was taking increasingly long to start up?

Anyway, thanks again,

Lingyai

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The .xlb file contains toolbar customizations and some other user settings. If it was 7 MB in size, there was definitely something wrong with it, and it may well have been the cause of Excel being slow to start. (Although I have a custom toolbar and extensively customized Standard and Formatting toolbars, my copy of Excel10.xlb is only 24 KB.)