Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Audio Cassette tapes

I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually converted at least a three dozen audio tapes.
    I have two drawers of them and will be (slowly but surely) copying them to wav/mp3 and storing them on a larg hard drive (400GB).
    (1) What hardware did you use/purchase
    (2) What software did you use/purchase?
    (3) If you were doing it again, what would you do differently?

I am also interested in the same aspects of converting masses (100?) of 33.3 LP records.

Thanks

Re: Audio Cassette tapes

I have started and completed literally hundreds of these conversions, I use the old Steinberg Clean version 4, there is a version 5 but it (from what I am told) only supported more devices.

The process is easy though it takes time, you have to play the tape into the program. This unfortunately only creates one file, equal to the whole length of the tape. If you want to break this up into individual tracks you need a Wave Editor, again I use Steinberg Wavelab Lite.

There is a problem in the cleanup, this depends on the source of the cassette, if it is pre-recorded it is considerably easy, if it is or has been recorded from another source i.e. 78, 45, 33 1/3 CD or copied from another tape the cleanup is a little longer. Overall the result is most gratifying.

Note that you do not need a pre-amp to record from the source, this is contrary to some advice, depending on the software you can correct or normalize the tracks after recording.

A Google will reveal many packages, my PC User Group uses Goldwave http://www.goldwave.com personally I don't like the interface.

Clean, the Steinberg software was taken over by Pinnacle http://www.pinnaclesys.com it is listed at many sites, I don't believe you can purchase new. Pinnacle does have other products capable of doing what you require.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Also see these Lounge posts (Ed may have been in these, so pardon the possible dupe): <post:=542,084>post 542,084</post:>, and <post:=485,456>post 485,456</post:>, as well as <post:=441,991>post 441,991</post:>.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BigAl beat me to the Cassette posts.
    <hr>I am also interested in the same aspects of converting masses (100?) of 33.3 LP records.<hr>
    Try reviewing <!post=Post 594088 - Ion Turntable and USB Port,594088>Post 594088 - Ion Turntable and USB Port<!/post> for the records.

NOTE:I have hooked up an old Technics S510 Receiver to a PC (using W98 SE) via the Audio Card. Works but you need some good software to clean up hiss and pop noises
    Scott

Thanks

You might also look at this from ThinkGeek.com
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you any experience with this device as far as quality or ease of use ?

For the price, seems to be a reasonable solution.
    Scott

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Try reviewing Post 594088 - Ion Turntable and USB Port for the records.
    Thanks.
    I had heard about this from an earlier post, and am contemplating assembling a LP/cassette transcription kit hooked up to my Beige Box. That will make it worth my while to spend some money on a decent anti-hiss wave editor software package.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> You might also look at this from ThinkGeek.com
    Thanks. The ability to "cut" into tracks would be a timesaver. I can deal with editing the track names once the tracks are in place, but the prospect of selecting thousands of "chunks" of music was daunting.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Update:
    This week I am purchasing a VCD/DVD recorder device to begin transcribing VCR's to m/c readable format.
    There being a dearth of cassette decks & turntables in the stores here, I have canvassed the local church (aging population) for working decks/tables.
    Once I have that hardware in place, I'll order the software and hardware auxiliaries and set aside a day to hook it all together.
    Also must learn how to u/l from my friend's video camera to m/c readable format.
    Should be quite a day .....