5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Permanently deleting message in the In Box (Outlook 2000)

Is it possible to permanently delete a message in the In Box (or any other folder) without first sending it to the Deleted Items folder?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Permanently deleting message in the In Box (Outlook 2000)

hold down shift when you delete.

race1

Holding down shift when you delete messages in the In Box disgards them 4ever? So, if I employ a "wipe" program, those deletions will no longer be found anywhere on my hard drive?

How about deleting, permanently, disgarded emails consigned to the Delete Box? I understand that even if I delete all items in the Delete Box, they still reside somewhere on my hd; how, if it's even possible, can I erase these deletions from the hd?

Appreciate any/all help on this matter - I looked back through threads, and used search, hoping to find the question and answer(s) already present...they're probably here somewhere, so allow me to apologize for being redundant.

Thanks.

Thanks

Seems there would be 3 steps to truly destroying a message:

(1) Delete message from all OL folders
    (2) "Pack" the .PST file to squeeze out deleted records; I don't know if the Compact function really does this, it runs way too fast to be copying to a new file and then deleting the old.
    (3) Wipe disk to clear areas outside the .PST file

I don't have a .PST small enough to test on, but it would be interesting to delete a message in OL, then compact the .PST, then view it in a hex editor and see whether the deleted message still lives in there. Whether this could be extrapolated to the 300 MB behemoths on my system, I have no idea.

For real peace of mind, don't use OL for stuff you don't want around. Use another program, like OL Express, and kill the mailbox files completely, or use web mail

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

try it - delete a message, empty the deleted folder (no need to do a manual compact) and view it in a hex editor. it's gone.

if using express, you should wipe the drive after deleting the dbx's - they can be recovered easier than trying to restore deleted mail in a pst. i've restored OE files (and deleted psts) several times - i've never been able to restore deleted messages within a pst.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

using outlook, everything is in the deleted items folder in the pst and once it's emptied, it can't be recovered.

race1

Thanks much for the info - I'm not really sure how to go about emptying pst files, so I'm thinking I need to hit "Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2000" again. I've got diverted in the last 8 months by more pressing needs of life - it'll do me good to read up on the subject again. Of course, I'll still need to find time somewhere to peruse all the WWW & WOW newsletters that have been accumulating over that same period...

Thanks again for your kindness - I truly appreciate your help.