Lounger
    Thanks

Personal workbook (Excel 2003)

Prior to last week, whenever I opened an Excel file, my Personal workbook would also open. For some reason, this is no longer happening, and therefore when I open an Excel file I do not have access to macros stored in Personal workbook. I am not sure what I changed, but clearly something. I did find a workaround solution, in that if I open Excel from Start menu then Personal workbook opens, so at least I can use the macros once again. But I am wondering what can be done so that all my macros are simply available without this extra step, and also why Personal workbook no longer opens automatically?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Personal workbook (Excel 2003)

Try Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>.

You can also try reregistering Excel:
    - Close all instances of Excel.
    - Select Start | Run...
    - Type <code>excel /unregserver</code> and press Enter.
    - Select Start | Run ... again.
    - Type <code>excel /regserver</code> and press Enter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Further to Hans' recommendation, you might also try looking in Help | About Microsoft Office Excel then click on the Disabled Items button.
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is a good suggestion in itself, but Olorin mentioned that the problem only occurs when Excel is started by opening a workbook (from Explorer), not when Excel is opened from the Start menu. So I don't think Personal.xls has been disabled entirely.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I tried reregistering, and that did not solve the problem, so I'll check out that link you provided and see what I find there.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I checked, and there were no disabled items.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Here is another suggestion to try.

1- Open Windows Explorer and then click on Tools in the menu bar then select the Folder options command (what you see may be different since I am doing this on W2K since I do not trust software that includes the Registration/Activation Wizard).

2- In the folder options dialog box click on the File Types tab.

3- Scroll down to near the bottom of the file types list until you find the .xls file type and click on it to select it.

4- Click on the Advanced button.

5- In the Edit File Type dialog box that appears, click on Open in the list to select it.

6- Click on the Edit button.

7- Make sure that the Use DDE box has a tick mark in it. The dialog box should look something like the image below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: When I open Excel from some applications (like when I export a worksheet from QuickBooks), I get this same thing (macros in personal.xls are not available). I have written a reply suggesting that he check Explorer/File Types to be sure that Use DDE is turned on. Can you think of anything else that would cause Explorer to open Excel in a mode that would make personal.xls unavailable?
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Legare.

I tried your suggestion, and DDE was already ticked.

I did manage to find a solution that worked, however: Window / Unhide did the trick, and now Personal.xls opens, and more importantly my macros are available.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My suggestion to re-register Excel would also have turned on DDE. Olorin already reported that that didn't work.

The export problem from QuickBooks could be caused by the way it is programmed: if QuickBooks explicitly starts a new instance of Excel using Automation, you might get a message about Personal.xls being in use.