New Lounger
    Thanks

Scheduling work that was not completed

Here is the scenario:

I have a task 13 hours of fixed work. 10 hours scheduled for last week, and 3 for this week, all assigned to one person. The person was only able to work 2 hours on that task last week. Which means at the beginning of this week, there were 11 remaining hours. However the 8 hours that didn't get finished last week, did not get re-scheduled into the future. What happened to the 8 hours of work that should have been added to this week or sometime in the future. It's like they just got dropped. I would have thought MS Project would have re-scheduled that 8 hours for sometime in this week or at least somewhere into the future. While the project reflects 11 remaining hours, it only scheduled 3 hours of work on this project for this week as well.

What am I missing. Am I expecting too much out of MS Project to expect it work carry incomplete work, forward in it scheduling?
    Thanks!
    Randy

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scheduling work that was not completed

This is from the on-line help within Project:

1 On the View menu, click Gantt Chart.
    2 In the Task Name field, select the tasks you want to reschedule.
    If you want to reschedule all remaining work in the project, do not select any tasks.

3 On the Tools menu, point to Tracking, and then click Update Project.
    4 Click Reschedule uncompleted work to start, and then type the date from which you want to reschedule all remaining work.
    5 To reschedule the entire project, click Entire project.
    To reschedule only the selected tasks, click Selected tasks.

1 On the View menu, click Gantt Chart.
    2 In the chart portion of the view, position the pointer over the incomplete part of the task.
    3 Drag the task bar to the right to split the task and to start the incomplete part on the date you want.
    Do not drag the finished part of the task. If you drag it, you'll move the entire task.

4 If necessary, reapply any constraint.

Prety straight forward, either way you do it.

Good Luck.

Rich P.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scheduling work that was not completed

Thanks so much for the update. It worked like a champ. I'm embarrassed that it was in the Help for project. I'm usually pretty good about checking the obvious.

Thanks again
    - Randy