4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted table - error 6015 (Word 2003/SP2)

Hi

Urgent issue. Need advice and possible solution.

Has anybody seen this problem before? When I copy and paste a large amount of data from a document to another under a macro (with Track Changes ON), I get the following error every time.

Error 6015
    Error Message: A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of the table; select the table and choose Convert Table to Text from the Table menu.

Is this a known problem? Admittedly, there are lots of tables in the document and Track Changes is switched ON. I found that if I Accept All Track Changes and then copy/paste under a macro - the document is successfully copied! Obviously, my users do not want to lose tack changes (as they are used for reviewing documents). Is there another solution for this problem & more importantly can someone confirm this is a indeed a problem in WORD/Clipboard?. I can't find anything on the Microsoft website regarding this issue.

I need to tell my users that it is nothing to do with my copy & paste process but just the large amount of tracked data being copied from one document to another.

Thanks for listening.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Thanks

Re: Corrupted table - error 6015 (Word 2003/SP2)

I've never seen that error in the circumstances you are describing. However, Word tables do sometimes become corrupt. As a workaround, you could try saving in RTF format or (unfiltered) HTML format, where Word might be able to preserve the formatting while rewriting the document in a new format, and thereby perhaps stripping out any underlying file corruption.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response Jefferson. I was begining to wonder where everyone was.

Anyway, it is a consistent problem for us here. I guess, I will just need to tell my users to accept track changes prior to running the process of converting info from one document to another. BTW: the macros copies a range from original doc and copies to the converted doc. [b]If I accept TRACK CHANGES in the original document and then run my macro - everything is fine - no table corruptions etc - everything just looks great./b]

If anybody has any ideas then I am willing to listen.

Robie.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It's not a known problem to me which is why I haven't responded.

Perhaps there is a workaround you haven't tried in your code. What result do you get if you cut from the source document then turn on tracked changes then paste back into the same file (thus tracking the insertion in the source doc). Then copy that tracked text and try pasting that into the target file with tracking turned off. Does that avoid the problem?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response Andrew.

It ALWAYS fails with corruped tables if I (basically trying to transfer across tracked changes)

1. Switch off TC
    2. Select & copy the text
    3. Paste in a new document (TC switched on or off - make no difference).

If I do not carry forward the tracked changes from the source doc (i.e. I make sure TC is switch on before copy of block text). When paste this into the target document - everything is fine. Basically now all copied text is tracked in the target doc.

We have decided to go with the second option, i.e. we DO NOT carry forward tracked changes from source document to the target document. People are unhappy but at least it is a working solution. I make sure that TC is switch on before I copy a block of information in the source document.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie