3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change in Shared Workbooks (2003)

One of our employees asked if there was a change in how Excel handles Shared files. He was recently upgraded to Office 2003. When he defines a workbook as Shared, others see the file name followed by (shared) in the title bar. He does not see "(shared)" in the title bar. How does he tell that the file is shared? Is there a way for him to get the "(shared)" in the title bar? Is there another way to tell that the document is shared? He is the owner.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change in Shared Workbooks (2003)

Does it make a difference whether the workbook window is maximized within Excel or not?
    One can always tell whether the workbook is shared by looking at Tools | Share Workbook, or in Visual Basic by inspecting ActiveWorkbook.MultiUserEditing. This is True if the workbook is shared, False otherwise.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will need to check further with our user, because I just did some testing on a system with Office 2003 installed and the (shared) message does appear in the title bar. We may just have user error issue.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have XL2003 or a network, so I can't test. However, is it possible that the (Shared) does not appear for the first user to open the file?
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, it should appear whenever the shared workbook is opened, whether by one or by several users. It only reflects the property that the workbook has been defined as shared, not whether it is currently being edited by multiple users.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

No answer to your question, but a warning.

Excel was never designed to do multi-user editing of workbooks. This shared workbook thing is unreliable and is to be avoided. You may suffer from loss of entries and at worst of the entire file. Excel shared workbooks is a fine feature, as long as only one user edits the file...
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your comments, Jan.

I have not been a fan of Shared documents. One thing that really bugs me is Tracked Changes in Excel. I do not understand why you have to turn it on every time I want to see the changes. I will advise my users that the shared document feature should be used sparingly.

Thanks to all for your assistance.