Lounger
    Thanks

Analog camcorder to DVD and USB ports

I'm trying to turn my old camcorder tapes to DVDs 2 questions unrelated I guess.

1) I don't care about fancy Hollywood effects. I just want to burn tapes to DVD with virtually no editing (maybe just deleting parts where there is nothing to see. I have Pinnacle studio 9 with Dazzle85 or 90. They want me to upgrade in order to burn to DVD. Heck.. Already paid $50. Old version. maybe suggestions for software with $? I'm cheap!!

2) Sort of related to 1 is that output from Dazzle device (input =L audio, R audio, Video... output=USB ) from camcorder needs USB 2.0 which I believe (know) I have. Problem is Dazzle device doesn't work at any of my 8 USB ports although if I connect and disconnect and reconnect the USB ports a bunch of times, it eventually does recognize device but says that need faster USB port. I have USB hub which I have heard could be problem for some "hard user devices?" A combo headset/microphone for gaming and chatting would not work on this PC either. Mouse, keyboard, printer, and MP3 player work fine. Do I need to get a card with just one USB port to maybe get this thing to work or would that likely not work either. (Tried downloading Pinnacle Dazzle Drivers but didn't make a difference)Even disconnectiong most of other stuff didn't help.

Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Analog camcorder to DVD and USB ports

Welcome to the Lounge!

Answer to your Question 2:

To capture video signal from your camcorder, you have to have video capture card, not just connect it to the first available USB port.
    There are many different cards; see, for instance, TigerDirect.com. The chipest one is $20, and to connect your camcorder audio output to this card you need additional 3.5mm-to-RCA cable. (You can find one in the dollar store.)

Answer to your Question 1:

When you be able to get video signal on your computer, you can use your program to create a video file (.avi for example). Edit your file if you want and use free DVD burning program as CDBurnerXP Pro to burn a video DVD. Just remember: all features of free programs are very limited.

Good luck!

-------------Later addition----------------------------------------

To make your headset/microphone work, consider
    Power Up USB 1.1 Audio Adapter 5.1 Channel
    $24.99

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recently my video player / recorder died. When doing the research to replace it, I found that the best (functionality) deal I could get was a DVD / video combination machine. This means that I can play my VHS tapes and record them straight to DVD. No computer in between.

The DVD side of the unit has some basic editing functionality, so I can insert chapters and delete the coypright warning that takes 10 minutes to display.

Lounger
    Thanks

To capture video signal from your camcorder, you have to have video capture card, not just connect it to the first available USB port.
    There are many different cards; see, for instance, TigerDirect.com. The chipest one is $20, and to connect your camcorder audio output to this card you need additional 3.5mm-to-RCA cable. (You can find one in the dollar store.)

I have a Radeon X800 series graphics card I installed (for games of course . Would that satisfy the requirements for video capture card?

Here is some info. I have 2 systems

System 1 =Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5RD1-V Rev 1.xx
    Pentium 3.0 processor RADEON X800 Series [Display adapter] RADEON X800 Series - Secondary [Display adapter

this system is no go for video

System 2 =Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI 1.XX
    2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    RADEON X800GT [Display adapter] RADEON X800GT Secondary [Display adapter

this system recognized and worked with the video (and headset/mic combo)

From what I have given you for info, Do you feel I still need something else for system 1?

Thanks !

Lounger
    Thanks

How much was that machine and what is it? I have quite a collection of VCR tapes that I would like to have last (content wise I mean. If they are preserved on DVD at least I can occasionally watch what I paid for) . Right now my main focus is on my camcorder tapes but VCR/camcorder not much of a difference for what I want to do, output audio-left, audio-right, video cables to DVDer.

Lounger
    Thanks

If my DEvice manager under "Universal serial bus controllers" shows a standard enhanced PCI to USB Host controller, doesn't that mean I have USB 2.0?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was a machine with a badge for a chain of franchises in Australia (with a well known Australian's name), but I am sure it is Chinese built.

Panasonic and Sony also make similar items. I paid $AUD170 for it. If I wanted to spend more money I could have bought one with a built in HDD - that would have made the editing function easier. Machines with HDD started at $AUD 350.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have recommended this before. Forget the computer. Get a DVR. Then you can easily convert directly for camera to DVD w/o editing and w/o using you PC. I have 3 DVR's (all < $100 each) which replaced my VCR's as the recording quality is better.
    I have converted camcorder tapes to DVD with no problems. Minimum editing can be done by using the DVR's pause control, positioning the tape and then continuing with recording. Look into this technique as it is quick and easy.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Although I personally prefer a computer setup for various reasons, Bob's suggestion has merit.

There are plenty of value based DVR's that can accomplish simple recording needs under $100.00. I recently purchased a
    Magnavox DVD Recorder from Sam's Club for a friends parents who are in their late 80's. Setup was simple and they are converting their own movies to CD.
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your Radeon X800 Graphic adapter has no video capture capability. Consider ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9600 Pro ($105), TV Wonder Radeon 650 ($129) or similar.

Yes, if your USB host controller is marked as "Enhanced" - it is USB 2.

Lounger
    Thanks

Wow

That's weird... Looking at my other system, do you know why that one could take video and this system could not?

Lounger
    Thanks

Whoops.. a little bit too far to travel from east coast of the USA. I forget that posters are from further away than my little world. I feel like a turkey.... gobble gobble!!

Lounger
    Thanks

Can the DVR be used to add audio, also?

In a separate project which I just discussed with my father last night, He has a lot of (I thinkkkk 8MM tapes) from his movie camera which date back to the '50s. He is having them converted to DVD (expensive!! $.10 to $.25 per foot!) but there is no audio. He wants to be able to add audio commentary to the video so we "kids" will know who the people in the movies are. I told him that once they convert the film to DVD format , we will be able to edit the resulting video and add audio to it. Doable with the device you mentioned or will we need computer to do that?

Thanks!