Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Digital Camera Delay

I have had several digital cameras. In all of them, there is a delay from the time you press the button until when the camera records the picture (about half a second in my Nikon). This is extremely frustrating when you are trying to take action shots (ie a bird or butterfly in flight), as you usually miss the shot. Can anyone tell me if all digital cameras have this delay?
    Legare Coleman

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Digital Camera Delay

High end digital SLRs probably don't.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All consumer digital cameras I know of have annoying shutter delay. The only ones that have minimal delays are the professional models ($4k on up). At least two processes contribute to this delay - electronic processing setup and automatic focusing, the latter being the bigger contributor. As you might expect, there are a range of delays in consumer cameras and it pays to look at this spec along with other common specs when buying a camera. The post shutter delay can also be a problem . This is the time it takes the camera to move the data from the image array to its memory and it dictates how quickly you can shoot another picture. In my mind, shutter delay is the single biggest drawback to digital photography, at least in the price range I feel like spending on the activity.

Paul

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I thought this problem was associated with the speed of writing data (all those mega-pixels!) to the little memory card. You can buy so-called High-Speed cards, and it might be worth getting one to see if it fixes your sloth problem... Here's a page at Kingston, for example.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

I would agree that there is a delay caused by auto-focus and auto-exposure - which can be over-ridden with some cameras when set to manual, otherwise Steve's suggestion of half-pressing the shutter button is the only fix I know.

But please bear a thought for the birds and butterflies - when they want their picture taken digitally, they have to fly in slow motion.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think so since you can't write to the card until after the picture is taken. There is another delay after the picture is taken while the picture is copied to the card.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks everyone. That is what I thought.
    Legare Coleman

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

I often have need to take action shots (for my running group). I set the camera on the setting that allows multiple shots while the button is held down. This way, I can take as many shots as the camera's memory will allow at one time - up to 20 on my old Canon A30. I need to wait until they are all written to memory before I can do it again, but that is rarely a problem. On the Canon, with a 512Mb card, I can get 1450 photos, and have never filled the card at one session yet. (I'm trying) I get to delete lots of photos because I get lots that are not worth anything. The point is that often there are a few that are worthwhile, and in some cases spectacular with blurred backgrounds etc. I do need to carry large memory chips, though, as 'running out of film' on assignment is a bit embarrassing.

Johanna

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi John,

Memory card write speed is only a factor after the first in a rapid sequence of pictures has been taken. And then it's only an issue once the camera's data buffer has filled, and mostly results in a reduced frame rate.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Legare,

There's a delay with almost every camera. Even film SLRs (except for an old Canon I know of that shot through a half-silvered mirror) need to move the mirror out of the way. Auto-focus mechanisms also need time to adjust the focus if the subject isn't already in focus.

So the issue is really one of how much delay is acceptable. All the digital SLRs have delays measured in milliseconds, and many point&shoot digitals these days are nearly as good, once they've focussed on the subject. Point&shoot digitals tend to be much slower at focussing than SLRs, but you can overcome that by pre-focussing and holding the shutter button half-way down until you're ready to shoot.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The reduced frame rate was what I had fixed in my mind!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...