New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Upgrade Macro Compatibility Issues

From a perusal of this site, it appears that there are potential macro compatibility problems in moving from Word 97 and its associated macros to any subsequent revision of Word. At least some of these appear to be due to changes the way word behaves. I have several key macro dependent documents and procedures based on Word 97. Because of health problems, just upgrading to a newer version of Word and then working through all the (anticipated) problems in getting the Word97 macros to run is very problematical. It is my expectation that I will have to maintain Word97 along with an upgrade (less than 2007) and spend a long time rewriting troublesome macros as I am able. Can anyone point me to a source wherein macro compatibility problems in moving up the chain of revisions to Word since Word 97 are addressed? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Upgrade Macro Compatibility Issues

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Klaus Linke posted some useful links in <post:=383,576>post 383,576</post:>.

The macro language in Word 97, 2000, 2002 (XP) and 2003 is the same, with additions in each version to support new features. In general, macros that work OK in Word 97, should work OK in later versions too.

The default method for connecting to a data source for mail merge changed fundamentally between Word 2000 and Word 2002. If you have macros that use MailMerge.OpenDataSource, they may fail to work correctly in Word 2002 and 2003. This can be solved by adding
    <code>
    , SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000
    </code>
    at the end of the OpenDataSource instruction.