Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    TOC doesn't display (Word 2003 Win XP Pro)

    I am trying to tidy up a document that was developed by others. It had many changes and messy styles but when I opened it, the TOC didn't display.

    I try to insert a new TOC and I get warnings that ask whether I want to replace the existing TOC and say yes. The page still remains blank.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers

    Geoff

  2. #2
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts

    Re: TOC doesn't display (Word 2003 Win XP Pro)

    It depends on how the TOC was created. For example, if it was manually assembled with TC fields marking the entries, they might somehow have been cleared.

    If you press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes, can you find the TOC field and post the code inside the field for review?

    Also, in case it was hidden and you are not viewing hidden text in the document, turn on Tools>Options..., View tab, hidden text.

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: TOC doesn't display (Word 2003 Win XP Pro)

    Thanks for your suggestions Jeff.

    I am really at a loss to explain. I was viewing the document on a colleague's computer and the job of tidying up the multitude of similar styles got too hard so I asked him to send me the file so I could "wave my magic wand over it."

    Immediately I opened it, the TOC that had been there disappeared.

    I spent several hours trying to insert a new TOC in the accepted way but it would not display.

    As I said initially, I received the standard warning about replacing an existing TOC and I said yes, do so, but the new TOC never appeared.

    The front page of the report was a bit of a mess of styles, text boxes and so on and the report had to go out this evening before close of business in Sydney.

    In desperation with time running out, I deleted everything ahead of the required content of the report.

    I added a few blank paras and inserted a new TOC from the menu. It worked!

    We then pasted the Title Page and a couple of pages of document management stuff in front of the TOC and the whole thing worked.

    I guess I will never know what it was in the first section that was causing the grief. Sometimes the deadline requires that you fix the problem any way possible whether you understand what's going on or not.

    The upside is I fixed the problem and the client went off for the weekend singing my praises. After a hard week reinstalling all my customised Office and AutoCAD stuff on a new computer after an unwelcome and unprepared for computer failure, any bright moments were welcome.

    Cheers

    Geoff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •