2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

List addresses in sent to folder (2000)

We have a financial reporting application that uses Outlook to distribute monthly reports to numerous (40-80) users. After the reports are sent, we would like a way to generate a file (text, csv, whatever) of the addresses to whom the report was sent to so the distribution can be verified (this would be all the names in the sent folder as that is the only thing this installation of outlook is used for). Can this be done natively through the application or does it need to be/can it be scripted? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -Scott

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: List addresses in sent to folder (2000)

If all you need to do is copy the addressee list, you can do that by selecting all the addressees (in Outlook 2003 click the first, scroll down to and shift-click the last), pressing Ctrl-C and pastiing where ever you want; you will have an unstructured text listing of the display names of all addressees. If you want a structured columnar list, or the underlying address, it may require scripting, but isn't hard to do. Post back if that's not what you want.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    I would like it in some sort of structure (txt, csv, etc.) in an output file if possible. The trick is that outlook is installed on the server to facilitate emailing, but is not available to the end users that require the output file. I was thinking if we could develop a script and either schedule it or link it to an icon we could get the users what they need without having direct access to the application. Is this doable? Thank you for your help. -scott

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 05-May-07 08:23. )</P>> without having direct access to the application.

Not sure what you mean by this. What application? How are users going to run code without access to the application?

This code run from Outlook will place a columnar list in the clipboard. It requires a reference to the Forms Library, "Microsoft forms 2.0 Object Library", FM20.dll, be set under Tools | References in the Outlook Visual Basic Editor, and it operates on the open target message. It provides the Display name and the Address separated by a semicolon - if you are on Exchange server, you'll get X500 addresses rather than SMTP addresses:

Sub listaddress()
    Dim strRecipList As String
    Dim lngC As Long
    Dim objData As DataObject

With ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
    For lngC = 1 To .Recipients.Count
    With .Recipients(lngC)
    strRecipList = strRecipList & .Name & " ;<" & .Address & ">" & vbLf
    End With
    Next lngC
    End With
    Set objData = New DataObject
    objData.SetText strRecipList
    objData.PutInClipboard
    MsgBox "Recipient List is now in Clipboard for pasting"
    Set objData = Nothing
    End Sub

If there's another output format you'd like, you'll need to specify it.
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The financial reporting application (FRx) is installed and published on a Citrix server. Outlook is also installed on the same server (but not published). Users access FRx to create/print reports. An FRx output option is to email to predefined distribution lists. Outlook integrates with FRx for this purpose. The end users don't see Outlook or use the application natively. They just receive the reports. Hope that makes more sense. If the code you provided puts the recipient user information in the clipboard we should be able to harvest the information and save it. I'll give it a try. We need this list for confirming who is receiving certain financial information. Thank you very much. - scott

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I noticed that your original question stated:

> all the names in the sent folder

Are multiple messages sent to different groups of recipients, with the same report?
    UTC -7ąDS