3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Volume and Issue (Office 2003 SP2)

In creating a Newsletter, I'm uncertain about the usage of Volume and Usage and I can't find any guidelines. We send out a Newsletter to our students each semester (fall, spring, summer). Will someone please tell me how I should use the Volume and Issue formats to designate these publications?
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Volume and Issue (Office 2003 SP2)

Thank you, Hans. I thought that was the meaning of the two terms, but I wasn't sure. When I was asked to explain to our current newsletter editor, I decided I'd better get a "second opinion". As usual, I count on my friends at Woody's to give me an answer.

Thanks again.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Basically, you can do whatever you want. The "Volume 1, Issue 1" text is just a placeholder, meant to be replaced by you. You can keep to the Volume/Issue format, or use another format. In the Volume/Issue format, Volume 5, Issue 3 means that this is the 5th year the newsletter appears, and that it is the 3rd issue within that year. "Year" can be the calendar year, or the school year, or whatever.

Examples:

Volume 5, Issue 3
    Volume 5, Spring Issue
    2006-2007, Issue 2
    Spring 2007

Just choose what seems most appropriate to you, and then use it consistently.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One thing to think about if you use the, Volume 1 Fall (or Spring, Summer) format.

When you get to, say Volume 77 (yes I know that we all will be gone by then) it is going to be hard to know which Volume is for which year.
    So if one is reading a back issue of a newsletter and would like to know what year it is from, the title Volume 77 does not help, but if it said

2084 Fall...

Just a thought.
    Michael