2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access & Online Access to database- General Advise

Hello everybody,

I have a long running (3 years) database and I wanna take it to the next level and enable external users to register for the event the database is about online.

I do have webspace with the possibility for SQL databases - the question I have now is how I should do this?
    The database right now works like this:
    User enters addresses, sends letters to addresses, enters respondents to the participants list and so on - I want to skip the letter part now and have an online registration system. Right now the database is set up to a single user system.

Let me just keep this question very open as I don't know anything about Access and its connection to the online world so feel free to give me any suggestions.

Dennis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access & Online Access to database- General Advise

Perhaps you can use Registration Manager. It's not free, but you can download a trial version.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access & Online Access to database- General Ad

Hello Dennis

I tried a very simple guestbook on my website a few months ago using Access and a simple active server page (asp), I can safely say, it was the greatest wash out and failure. The database was great just the connection to the database via the web pages. The reason it was a failure was because it was hit by web bots that inserted rude messages and links to phishing sites etc.

There is software out there on the web that allows the citizen to enter characters into a text box for authorisation to prove human interaction.

Other issues that can arise is the security of the database itself as it will have to sit in the root folder so that the asp pages can connect easily.

Personally I would go for the SQL server database option, more security is available and you can either use classic asp or .NET to connect. If you have a functional schema for the database then all is good, we will have to assist you with the HTML side....do you have Frontpage?
    Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thx Hans and Jerry,

I cannot take any commercial solutions since I'm not being paid for this endeavor. I am very well aware of the fact that its quite a mess programming everything, but doable in half a year (timeframe) in my opinion.

I thought already about ASP pages and I'M glad you tell me they suck cuz I somehow thought so already. I am very capable in web design (HTML, PHP) and my SQL experience is still rather basic even though there is lots of SQL in my forms and within the database.
    Do you think it would be the most suitable to create a seperate SQL database online (with strong password encryption to circumvent spam robots) with only the most basic information (e.g. address+name to choose from), then the participant could enter his information, that gets into the database (online) and can be downloaded and somehow synced with the offline database.
    OR should I port the whole database to online SQL, which would be a pain in the *** but certainly a step towards the digital age.

I just don't know yet how to tackle this problem, once started it will run better for sure

Dennis

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I experimented with the Blue Polar software enough to know it looked interesting and promising, but never took it to a full-fledged system of my own. Might be worth your time to look into it further:

http://www.bluepolar.com/
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada